pt dropped on stretcher

lsingleterry

Forum Probie
I am an emt in tennessee. I am a pretty good tech. This is the second private service that I have worked for. I worked 2 years for the first service. Would have stayed, only 9.50 hrly + 0 benefits don't work for a single parent of a 5 year old. For 5 months I have worked for this second service. It is the same as other private services, same stuff, just higher pay; and it offers benefits. You ask, "what's the problem?" Wednesday, my partner and I had a pt for woundcare. We arrive at the facility and unload, the patient shifts her weight on the stretcher as I am pulling the stretcher (stryker) out. My partner and I notice the wheels are not dropping, she manually attempts to get them to lower, and it does not work. The patient moves again and I lost control of the stretcher. The patient is holding the right side of her head, while the two of us place the stretcher upright. Immediately I do an assessment of the head, and entire right arm to include the wrist, and hand. I inform patient that I would like to take her to er (right across the street) for further assessment. Patient refuses. I notify management, dispatch and supervisor via radio. They hear patient refuse er care, states she wants to go to wound care. She says no contact with head or arm. She guarded her head with her hand when she realized she was going down. Again she refuses er care, and wants woundcare. Did I follow protocols, and should I be terminated?:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
Hit the gym.

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
stuff like this happens, At least you notified you company immediately instead of just acting like nothing happened. i think you handled everything well. And BTW was it a push button electric stryker?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
:censored::censored::censored::censored: happens. if the patient doesn't want to go to the ER, that's their right. your company can't force them to be evaluated.

couple of tips:

1) tell the patient not to move. advise them that if they do move, they will shift the weight and can fall. Sometimes self preservation will prevent them from doing this. works the same with carrying people down in stairchairs.

2) the stretcher is supposed to come out, and the wheels drop. if they don't, do a quick inspection to get it working, or find what is wrong. and my quick, i mean maybe 6 seconds. if it's a quick fix, fix it. if not, PUT THE PATIENT BACK IN THE TRUCK. that way you don't drop the patient or the stretcher. remember, 4-6 wheels all the way down to the ground = very hard to tip over the cot. being held up in the air or with the wheels all the way down is easier to tip, especially if the patient shifts their weight unexpectedly.

If you followed your agency protocols, you did everything right. some IFT companies are a little scummy, and will fire you for dropping the patient (or for any little stupid thing), but most decent companies won't, especially if it wasn't your fault that the incident happened.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Like others have said, sometimes things happen. The important part, though, is how you recovered. My only question is whether the patient signed a refusal for treatment/transport. At that point, it's all about your thorough documentation.
Let me get this straight, did the stretcher fall while only the two loading wheels were in contact with the ambulance, or once the four others were down? Were you parked on a hill or an incline?

OP
OP
L

lsingleterry

Forum Probie
this stretcher was a problem for me when i first tech'd in it. i had just gotten a pt off of it, and my partner and i could not get the stretcher back in the unit. i was told to go buy some wd40. after spraying it down, it worked. i had not been in that truck since then. that was around july or august. i would have thought the problem was fixed by then. i have not used that truck since then. did not remember the stretcher issue.

OP
OP
L

lsingleterry

Forum Probie
we were parked on a pretty steady street. in fact, no incline, no hill, nothing but a patient shifting weight, and a crappy stretcher.

OP
OP
L

lsingleterry

Forum Probie
i guess you could not understand that the patient shifted weight, and the stretcher was not properly working. maybe i did not make myself clear. sorry.

vquintessence

Forum Captain
Sorry to bring up the dead topic but was there any documentation on your part after this incident? Most services have some type of Incident Report form. If you did fill out one, did you keep a personal copy (if allowed)?

Like others said, most reputable employers won't terminate you based on an isolated accident, but even if you're employer is on the up&up, it never hurts to have a papertrail.

OP
OP
L

lsingleterry

Forum Probie
incident reports filled out and turned in. it turns out that a few days following that mishap, myself and several other emt's were laid off.
reduction of workforce due to lack of work. i have taken that short time to:
1. find another job, with another service
2. sharpen my lifting skills
3. tighten up on documentation
4. ensuring that my partner and i am on the same page
5.RESEARCHING THE SERVICE!!!!!;););););););):)