Pseudo seizure dilema

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
We have a patient locally who has recently been recognised as a frequent flyer after discussing his most recent presentation, ?continuous seizures.

I realise some of this information is not entirely clear but we’re working on a lot of second hand information at the moment. His most recent presentation was as follows.

32YOM, with an unclear hx per brother, of “quadriplegia”, wheelchair bound, insensate bellow the ribs, but the brother is bizarrely non-specific about his motor function. Per another source, the pt has no ability to use his legs.

He also has a recent hx within the past ~6mths of several presentations for seizures that have been seen and treated in several ways.
• At one centre he had undergone a number of investigations during his admission and his seizures were left untreated during that time. Per the brother, he was told at that stage that he was “faking it” and that it was “in his head”. Advice from the same centre RE his current presentation was “pseudoseizures” and they highly recommend not treating him.
• His seizures have been attributed to medication reactions, particularly tramadol, by ED doctors at a different centre.
• He has been treated with midazolam unsuccessfully we believe both at hospital and by ambulance with at least one previous ambulance attendance leading to the pt being RSI’d.

His current presentation strikes the crew immediately as not being the typical tonic clonic seizure.

His airway is patent and clear, no secretions or vomitus, no snore or grunting, despite the movement his tidal volume appears adequate, nil increased WOB, RR of ~20, mildly hypertensive & tachycardic, no more diaphoretic than any other person in the room due to the ambient heat, warm pink skin. BSL 7.2, Temp 36.6.

I’m not sure how much a description will help but I’ll give it a try anyway for anyone who might be interested. He was found seizing after his brother returned home and was still seizing on ambulance arrival (30mins). He continues to seizure until terminated, total of approx 60 mins). His jerking movements are asymmetrical, reasonably infrequent and at irregular intervals. They are relaxed & controlled motions that appear voluntary. It has none of the violence of the early clonic phase and none of the subtle, unnatural looking clonus of a prolonged seizure. At irregular intervals the activity calms to an occasional shudder and returns 20-30 seconds later. PEARL 4mm. His eyes are gently closed, and when opened, alternate between tracking normally, ++ rapid laterally beating nystagmus and R deviation. He appears to have no threat reflex. Touching his eyelashes elicits no movement of the eyelids. His abdominal muscles are contracting rhythmically. He makes occasional movements that appear coordinated at some level such as grasping the side of the stretcher for a few moments. Concerted efforts at painful stimuli illicit no response.

He is on warfarin and has been complaining of headaches for several days.

In this instance, 20mg IM midazolam terminate the activity after a surprising delay, leaving the pt GCS 3 but with intact airway reflexes and normal resp effort/rate/SpO2. 30 mins later the ‘seizure activity’ begins again, does not respond to 5mg IV midazolam, and the pt is intubated via RSI. After intubation the pt requires heroic amounts of sedation and analgesia to maintain the tube. He remains a mystery to the ED doctors.

The problem: We will see this patient again and question is what we do in the future.
Withholding treatment leaves open the possibility that his unusual presentation of legitimate generalised seizures requiring termination go untreated and his airway goes unprotected.

Treating him subjects him to some reasonably dangerous interventions including RSI. He is not an easy tube and RSI is not without risk anyway. Not to mention the burden on the system of having to deal with an unnecessarily intubated patient.

From the description of this situation, can anyone offer opinions on terminate/not to terminate dilemma, and how this might relate to the different kinds of seizure he might be having?

Might his spinal injuries affect the way his seizures present?

We will be following up on this patient via management in the hopes of developing a management plan for the future.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
It sounds like there is a major issue going on in the cerebellum and an extensive neuro workup is in order.

A Parkinson's workup might not be a bad idea either.
There is a possibility of abnormal nervous regeneration/repair or ongoing insult creating nonstandard or specific symptoms you describe.

I think a considerable amount has to be investigated prior to turfing this to psych.

Either way, it sounds like this guy is not successfully treated by the ED or EMS. Might be time to send him to the ivory tower so they can start looking for the zebras rather than attempt symptomatic control.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
The Magic of the Case Conference

The folks who keep seeing this pt need to get together, compare notes, make a unified treatment plan, then communicate it to their docs and techs. As soon as practicable they need to enlist the pt as well, whether it is just someone saying "We've had a conference about your troubling case" and forwarding common plans designed to enlist the pt, to "We feel you need to have unified care under on MD's direction, so this will be your physician of record.." (i.e., stop hitting the ER's).

Anyone c/o headaches with warfarin has MY attention.

And as one heated evening's exchanges on EMTLIFE highlighted, even if this is not a classic case of seizure disorder, and even if it is behavioral, what is causing it? Can you rule out a tumor, a metabolic imbalance, polypharmacy, or a psychiatric root which is causing the person to have these episodes of quasi-seizures? (At the jail I ALWAYS characterized such activity as "seizureform" then described it, never wrote "seizure" or "pseudo seizure").

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The folks who keep seeing this pt need to get together, compare notes, make a unified treatment plan, then communicate it to their docs and techs. As soon as practicable they need to enlist the pt as well, whether it is just someone saying "We've had a conference about your troubling case" and forwarding common plans designed to enlist the pt, to "We feel you need to have unified care under on MD's direction, so this will be your physician of record.." (i.e., stop hitting the ER's).").

Doctors talking to each other?

On purpose?

About a patient?

Where is this crazy planet you live on and how do I get there?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
cerebellar strokes are very difficuly to detect on CT, even with contrast.

mycrofft

Doctors talking to each other?

On purpose?

About a patient?

Where is this crazy planet you live on and how do I get there?

This was THE way to go in the correctional setting. Not only could it yield better outcomes, it could shortstop one of the four arms (chaplaincy, custody, psych and med) from coming down on the others., or even calling the Grand Jury in.
mqdefault.jpg

"Nannoo Nanoo! Time for Case Conference!"

mycrofft

Blood chemistries (clotting time and clotting factors?), a GOOD neuro exam. Would "spinal tap" reveal anything?

If it is ongoing or repetitive, serial exams could be instructive.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

I was under the impression that cerebellar strokes usually presented with intractable nausea/vomiting and vertigo/balance issues?

Veneficus

Forum Chief

mycrofft

Last edited by a moderator:

Mariemt

Forum Captain
My oldest son suffered from idiopathic seizures. Some called them pseudo seizures.
he did not have controlled movements and had so many little things it could have been, but no one could come up with a definate answer.
Either way, they say extreme stress is usually the source as anxiety. Ems was not to be called unless he started having respiratory distress etc and then Valium was the appropriate treatment.

These spells are very real to the patient and never considered faking.

On a PCR I would consider using the wording of seizure like spells or convulsion like activity.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I was under the impression that cerebellar strokes usually presented with intractable nausea/vomiting and vertigo/balance issues?

Can be, but not exclusively.

Basically anything controlled by the cerebellum can present as abnormal, including lack of neuro inhibition similar to Parkinson's depending on the area affected.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
This was THE way to go in the correctional setting. Not only could it yield better outcomes, it could shortstop one of the four arms (chaplaincy, custody, psych and med) from coming down on the others., or even calling the Grand Jury in.
mqdefault.jpg

"Nannoo Nanoo! Time for Case Conference!"

I am lucky if I can get a uselessly vague one or 2 sentence opinion.

Radiology might as well write "cannot rule out the invisible hand of death."

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
The folks who keep seeing this pt need to get together, compare notes, make a unified treatment plan, then communicate it to their docs and techs. As soon as practicable they need to enlist the pt as well, whether it is just someone saying "We've had a conference about your troubling case" and forwarding common plans designed to enlist the pt, to "We feel you need to have unified care under on MD's direction, so this will be your physician of record.." (i.e., stop hitting the ER's).

Anyone c/o headaches with warfarin has MY attention.

And as one heated evening's exchanges on EMTLIFE highlighted, even if this is not a classic case of seizure disorder, and even if it is behavioral, what is causing it? Can you rule out a tumor, a metabolic imbalance, polypharmacy, or a psychiatric root which is causing the person to have these episodes of quasi-seizures? (At the jail I ALWAYS characterized such activity as "seizureform" then described it, never wrote "seizure" or "pseudo seizure").

Seizureform activity....I like.

I've set the wheels in motion to create a management plan for this patient with involvement from all stakeholders. As to what level of involvement we will be able to get from other institutions, I can't yet say.

Anyone have experience with plans like this in the past for complex patients?

Either way, it sounds like this guy is not successfully treated by the ED or EMS. Might be time to send him to the ivory tower so they can start looking for the zebras rather than attempt symptomatic control.

One of the centres he has been evaluated at is an ivory tower. Although I'm not sure what floor he made it too.

That is the point with this whole issue. We don't have a lot of clear information. Thats the issue we need to solve.

mycrofft

At our jail we found at first the bigwigs could never make it so t first we met during lunch in the chow hall. Then we had a couple at one or another's office (Psych had the best digs). But then the supervisors took it over and it withered.

My take was keep it as low on the job ladder as possible, the actual line people know these patients and aren't primarily out to "defend" their part of the operation. NO blame, just trying to make it work for mutual benefit.

I forgot to mention Social Services as well. Can't be sane, sober and unincarcerated if you have nowhere to live, nothing to wear nor eat.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Seizureform activity....I like.

I've set the wheels in motion to create a management plan for this patient with involvement from all stakeholders. As to what level of involvement we will be able to get from other institutions, I can't yet say.

Anyone have experience with plans like this in the past for complex patients?

One of the centres he has been evaluated at is an ivory tower. Although I'm not sure what floor he made it too.

That is the point with this whole issue. We don't have a lot of clear information. Thats the issue we need to solve.

Then his PCP should pull his entire medical record and sit down with you guys and make a plan.

mycrofft

HAYLE-yes.

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
My oldest son suffered from idiopathic seizures. Some called them pseudo seizures.
he did not have controlled movements and had so many little things it could have been, but no one could come up with a definate answer.
Either way, they say extreme stress is usually the source as anxiety. Ems was not to be called unless he started having respiratory distress etc and then Valium was the appropriate treatment.

These spells are very real to the patient and never considered faking.

On a PCR I would consider using the wording of seizure like spells or convulsion like activity.

That is exactly the point of giving such consideration to a patient such as this. Seizures come in many shapes and sizes and I have seen both personally and professionally how damaging it can be when the term pseudo seizure, and all the negativity that comes with it, is attached to a person with even a slightly atypical presentation.

Although there are several reasons why I want to effect a management plan, one of the primary reasons is to see that this patient's seizures are managed appropriately in the future, despite his atypical presentation and complex history.

Then his PCP should pull his entire medical record and sit down with you guys and make a plan.

That is the plan, but it is dependant on how involved the PCP is or wants to be, as well as the consent of the patient/pts family and how keen management are to let me get this done. GPs here can be stunningly uninterested, uninvolved and uninformed, families scared and frustrating, and management obstructive and filled with less than honourable motivations.

We shall have to wait and see.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
That is exactly the point of giving such consideration to a patient such as this. Seizures come in many shapes and sizes and I have seen both personally and professionally how damaging it can be when the term pseudo seizure, and all the negativity that comes with it, is attached to a person with even a slightly atypical presentation.

Although there are several reasons why I want to effect a management plan, one of the primary reasons is to see that this patient's seizures are managed appropriately in the future, despite his atypical presentation and complex history.

I always tried to keep an open mind about psych, despite all of its shortcomings.

But when I did my psych rotation in med school, the professor said something that really changed my perspective on it.

He started off by saying most doctors do not see value in psych. (obviously he has been around) But he asked us to consider it like this:

If your liver is messed up, everyone in the room would tell you to go see a doctor to get help.

If your heart is messed up, everyone in the room would tell you to go see a doctor to get help.

So if somebody's brain is messed up, why do we just stigmatize them and not suggest they should go see a doctor and get help?

I never saw psych the same way again. (and that is a very good thing)

That is the plan, but it is dependant on how involved the PCP is or wants to be, as well as the consent of the patient/pts family and how keen management are to let me get this done.

In other words, not going to happen.

GPs here can be stunningly uninterested, uninvolved and uninformed, families scared and frustrating, and management obstructive and filled with less than honourable motivations.

Tell me one place it is not like that, and remember, I have been around the block a few times.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
So if somebody's brain is messed up, why do we just stigmatize them and not suggest they should go see a doctor and get help?

I'd wager it's a holdover from the days when we could do "stuff" about physical problems but not quite yet do anything good for psych?