Protransport-1 Group Interview

holyvulture

Forum Ride Along
I have a group interview with Protransport-1 (PT-1) on 14, January (in one week) and I would like to know what experiences people have had in this situation with this company (and perhaps others) lately. I would appreciate any wise words above the numerous threads on employment tactics on this forum.

From what I can tell, there is a written test (which is supposedly quite easy), an oral scenario, and a proper one on one interview. I am particularly interested in more information concerning the scenario as my EMT teacher routinely provided us with very challenging scenarios for fun (for him) and I am a bit rusty (having passed NREMT in July).

P.S. I've seen a number of different threads regarding the group interview on this forum, but most have referred to other companies, and the threads referring to PT-1 emphasized that the interview tactics changed dramatically over time. I am hoping someone familiar with the process (maybe a recent hire?) more recently than previous threads might be able to chime in and enlighten me as to changes in style, process, and form.

This forum has been a huge help in the job hunt already, and I'd like to thank you all for that.

Angel

Paramedic
the group interview thing must be relatively new. my interview was with the station manager and 2 people from HR via Skype. they said a few things but that was it. there is an oral scenario, but its pretty easy, they'll ask you stuff like your goals in life career wise, your strengths and weaknesses ect.

as far as the test goes, in recent months people who are hired don't have to take this test. but as mentioned before it is pretty easy. a lot of what does c in dcap btls mean?

then youll have the orientation where they feed you the company kool aid and the training days where ever theyre doing it at now (was Richmond when I was hired)
then FTO where you learn the basics of how to run calls, lift and move patients and the gurney. don't stress out, if you have half a brain youll pass. writing the narrative in the PCR is what takes most people the longest but itll come with practice.

the company as a whole is looking to grow and expand, hence all the hiring so that's good. lots of politics going on. union vs company mess which as a probationary person you can be on the chopping block for anything so I suggest keeping your head down, doing your job and stay out of it.

use this job as a foot in the door to other things, many people get comfortable and have been working there for 5+ (or 10+) years. I guess it depends on your goals in life but BLS IFT wasn't and isn't mine. so do your time and move on. lots of people want to become nurses, medics ect and some never progress past EMT because they get too comfortable.

its a decent paying job in an oversaturated market. what more can you ask for

also, if they ask you what days you can work (on call) pick VERY carefully as these days cannot be changed until youre off probation. they can literally call you up and MAKE you work or you'll risk termination. probation is anywhere from 6 months to a year so just keep that in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeepdude911

Forum Crew Member
I will second Angel's reply, except that my interview (in 2006) was face to face at Cotati. Did my FTO time at Pleasant Hill, and worked San Francisco, including the 2011 49er home games. Watch the politics, keep your head down, and remember, anything (and I do mean anything) can get you in deep, well, shall we say, fertilizer.

OP
OP
H

holyvulture

Forum Ride Along
Wow! Some serious foreboding stuff there!

Thanks a lot for those descriptions, especially Angel. I am in school so letting me know about those "on call" days was a LIFESAVER as Saturday and Sunday are pretty much the only days I know I positively won't have school for the next year.

Pretty cool you got to work the 49er's home games jeepdude! I'm pretty good at doing my job and staying out of the politics (I have a degree in political science and that was enough of that). Lots of warnings that PT-1 (or maybe any IFT company?) could "suck out my soul" but I hope I'll have some fun in my stepping stone job.