Prospective EMT Seeking Advice

overthinker1515

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone. I'm currently enrolled in an EMT-B course, starting in August. I'm doing as much as I can to prepare myself (any advice is greatly appreciated), and I've read a lot of information from current EMS professionals regarding the class. Most say it is relatively simple and straightforward, but that there is a considerable amount of studying and reading to be done. My issue is, my student adviser is trying to convince me to take A&P 1 during my EMT-B class, and then go directly into the EMT-P program straight out of graduation. Currently, I don't feel that taking Paramedic that soon is a smart decision, so I'm likely going to wait til I have some experience working as an EMT basic first. But, as for the Anatomy and Phys. class, I'm not sure what to think. Everything I've read states that it is an exceptionally demanding class, that requires an almost ridiculous level of studying and memorization.

While I'm not at all afraid of hard work, I'm not sure I can actually manage (or if it would be wise to try) taking EMT-B and A&P at the same time. The way my classes will be scheduled would have me taking EMT every Tues/Thurs, and A&P on Wednesday. The scheduling alone has me a little worried about being able to absorb the amount of raw information I'm told is required. Now I obviously don't have to take A&P 1 now, but getting it out of the way at the same time as EMT-B does seem convenient, but I'm not one to make decisions without some sort of thought put into it. I'd love an opinion from any of the EMS professionals on this site regarding whether or not they believe I should pair the two courses. And any advice regarding preparing for the EMT-B program, or if you believe I should jump directly into EMT-P after I get my certification, would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Many people are able to take the EMT class along with other classes to make them qualify as a full time student. Some will find it easy while others will find it hard.

No one on this forum is going to be able to guess what is best for you. However will we all agree that an A&P class will be very beneficial for you.

As to the question of going straight into medic school or not, that is a highly contested subject. Some say yes you should go straight into medic school while others will say no you should get experience as an EMT first. Once again this is going to be completely up to you and if there are any prerequisites for the paramedic program.

OP
OP
O

overthinker1515

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the quick reply DesertMedic66! I guess I should go into a bit more detail.

As of now, my ultimate goal is to become a Flight Medic. Now obviously that choice may change after gaining all the necessary experience down the line, but I do feel that a career in EMS is the path for me. So, with that being said, I'd obviously like to set that in motion as soon as I'm ready. My reservations remain with the thought of going directly from a basic level EMT, to training for EMT-P, to having peoples' lives literally in my hands. I feel as though I'll be far more comfortable with a bit of EMT experience before I decide to pursue Paramedic. That's my opinion, and I believe it to be well founded, but am very open to any ideas you guys already experienced in the field may have.

A&P is a prerequisite for EMT-P in my state, so I will have to take it eventually. While my schedule is pretty relaxed, and I feel I can meet the time constraints necessary to take both EMT-B and A&P together, I'm also a bit reserved about the idea of taking it now. I don't want to be the type of EMT that I've read about on this board and others, that skates through his training and doesn't apply himself very well in the field, so I want to fully focus on what I learn. I also don't want to forget the information I would learn in A&P now, in the long run. I think I'd be making a wise decision in waiting and taking A&P right before I'm ready to start Paramedic, but if I know that I'll be practicing the knowledge gained from A&P regularly as an EMT basic, then I suppose I wouldn't have to worry about forgetting it. Believe me when I say, my forum name is appropriate to my personality. I'm a very analytical person, who likes to know the full depth of every decision I make, but I am very prone to overthinking things.

Once again, thanks for the help!

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I am currently in emt basic school in New York. I have a full time job working as a parole officer and still have a 96+ average in the class and I am nothing special(no boy genius). It has some anatomy and hell if you take the second anatomy class it helps in the emt class. I work 45-65 hours normal then class from 7-11 at night(4 days a week). If you are good in school you will not run into any issues with "multi tasking" or taking more then one class. But honestly don't overthink it, it's a emt-b class. If you feel I can help you in anyway due to the fact I'm going through it feel free to ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
O

overthinker1515

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the response NysEms2117!

From the advice given here and other places, I think I'm going to go ahead and take A&P 1 with my EMT-B class. I'm still a bit nervous, but after hearing multiple stories of people working full time jobs, while taking both, and raising children, I'm sure I can manage. I'm reading a guide on this site about preparing for EMT-B now, so that's helping ease my mind. I've also been brushing up on anatomy and medical terminology ahead of time, but if anyone has any resources to give that would be a big help.

My question still remains about the Paramedic program, and I've contacted my student adviser with my concerns. As much as I trust his judgement, I'm a little worried that he's trying to push me into it a little too quickly. I feel like my plan to wait and take it after some experience as an EMT makes sense, but if anyone has been in a similar situation and has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. My ultimate goal is not to get a job, but rather to be the best at my career. So, while the P on the patch may be nice for a pay raise, I don't want to hold that certification until I feel that I'm ready. My reservations, however, are mostly due to my lack of any kind of medical background, or in-depth understanding of what it takes to be a good Paramedic. I don't want to be one of those guys that I've read about, who just follows protocol like a robot, but doesn't have any qualities that accentuates his practice.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I took A&P (and another class I think) along with EMT. It really isn't that hard. Sometimes it is a lot of reading between multiple classes, but the material itself isn't necessarily that difficult.

As far as when to take medic, that is entirely up to you. Good medics have waited between the two and good medics have gone straight through and the same with crappy ones. Do whatever you want to do, as long as you actually put in effort to keep learning I don't think you will need to worry. Everyone says being a new medic is a gradual transition anyway.

OP
OP
O

overthinker1515

Forum Ride Along
I think I've pretty much made up my mind, and it was nice having a few experienced opinions to help me along the way! Thanks again for all the help!

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Be aware that although it's hotly debated on EMTLife, in real life at any company I've worked at, everyone looks down on zero-to-hero medics. You had better be a superstar if you go straight through, or everyone will talk smack about you behind your back. You may not care about that, but it is what it is.

Based on your posts here, I think this is what I would recommend:

1) Take an EMT class, get a job as an EMT-B. Most likely you'll be doing IFT, but try for a company where there is at least a chance of doing a 911 call now and then.

2) Spend a year working full time as a basic, and during that year take 2 semesters each of General Chemistry and Intro Biology. Take the real, 4-credit science classes that include labs, that are geared towards science majors and premeds (ie, don't take "physiological chemistry" or "chemistry for health sciences"). Having a solid, non-watered-down science foundation will help a lot with EMT-P and also once you start thinking about critical care.

3) Go start your paramedic program, continue working as a basic throughout (but consider dropping to part time because school is way more important). This puts you at 2-3 years experience as an EMT-B before becoming a paramedic, which should really be more than enough.

Last edited:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
As has been said, opinions on this vary widely.

My personal opinion: I don't see any reason to wait. You know you want to be a paramedic. Don't waste time, just go be a paramedic.

The experience you'll get working as a basic for a year prior to paramedic class will likely have a low yield. If you end up working IFT, you'll be doing dialysis or transfers home, and will get very little from that. Yes, there is the opportunity to learn a lot about patients' chronic conditions, but most people don't.

If you do end up in a 911 gig, you'll likely be partnered with a paramedic and will end up doing very little except putting on BP cuffs and driving to the hospital.

You will learn a few basic operational things and communication skills, but it won't take you two years to master that (1yr experience plus 1yr working while in class).

If you know you want to be a paramedic, enroll in paramedic class and work throughout class. That'll give you a year experience working before becoming a paramedic, which is plenty. EMT is not some difficult specialty that requires mastery prior to advancing. It's a 120hr advanced first aid class. That's it.

Anecdotal experience, but I went straight through, as well as 5 or 6 of the other guys that were the top of our class. We all got good jobs right off the bat and have all moved up relatively quickly in our departments. None of us had prior experience. Now that I teach, I see a lot of the same. I see a lot of students with zero experience go on to become great medics. That's not to say having no experience means you will excel, but experience is certainly not a requirement to excel. That's all dependent on you and how driven and studious you are.

You also won't learn a lot of bad habits prior to starting class. I beat my head against the wall trying to unlearn bad information or bad habits that EMTs got from their paramedic partners- whether it be because they misunderstood something, or their partner was just an idiot.

Taking A&P now will only help you with that. Many students struggle with a lot of the concepts in medicine because they lack a solid foundation in A&P.

Regardless of what you decide to do, good luck on your endeavors. Hang around this forum and you'll learn quite a bit. It helped me tremendously when I was a new medic.

That was considerably longer than intended...

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
You may not care about that, but it is what it is..
This is me. All day, erry day.
3b95c0d271970bfe5a24e1d9b5680708.jpg

MrJones

Iconoclast
Be aware that although it's hotly debated on EMTLife, in real life at any company I've worked at, everyone looks down on zero-to-hero medics. You had better be a superstar if you go straight through, or everyone will talk smack about you behind your back. You may not care about that, but it is what it is....

And in real life at any company I've worked at, everyone judges new hires based on their performance, not some silly bit of tribal lore that holds that you can't be a good medic if you weren't an EMT for XX years first. You may not care about that, but it is what it is....

OP
OP
O

overthinker1515

Forum Ride Along
1) Take an EMT class, get a job as an EMT-B. Most likely you'll be doing IFT, but try for a company where there is at least a chance of doing a 911 call now and then.

2) Spend a year working full time as a basic, and during that year take 2 semesters each of General Chemistry and Intro Biology. Take the real, 4-credit science classes that include labs, that are geared towards science majors and premeds (ie, don't take "physiological chemistry" or "chemistry for health sciences"). Having a solid, non-watered-down science foundation will help a lot with EMT-P and also once you start thinking about critical care.

3) Go start your paramedic program, continue working as a basic throughout (but consider dropping to part time because school is way more important). This puts you at 2-3 years experience as an EMT-B before becoming a paramedic, which should really be more than enough.

The company I'll most likely be working for is the sole provider of 911 EMS in my area, and many surrounding counties in my state, so I'll almost definitely work 911 calls, rather than purely IFT. The plan that you outlined is pretty well spot on to my overall goal.

If you know you want to be a paramedic, enroll in paramedic class and work throughout class. That'll give you a year experience working before becoming a paramedic, which is plenty. EMT is not some difficult specialty that requires mastery prior to advancing. It's a 120hr advanced first aid class. That's it.

My reasoning for not going directly into the Paramedic program goes beyond just my reservations. Financially, I'm not at a point where I can do so, and I don't have parents to give any kind of financial support. As a 22 year old, my life is in no way in order. So, for me, I feel that my best bet is to work as an EMT-B first. If I could afford it now, I would likely go directly to EMT-P, as many professionals including you, others on this site, my student adviser/trainer, and family have told me I should.

And in real life at any company I've worked at, everyone judges new hires based on their performance, not some silly bit of tribal lore that holds that you can't be a good medic if you weren't an EMT for XX years first. You may not care about that, but it is what it is....

That's all I hope for, honestly. I know that I will give every bit of my effort, and then some, to my career. My reasoning for wanting to do this stems from more than just a desire to be in the medical field. I want to help people, in the best possible way I can, because of my circumstances. From growing up as a child with an abusive mother, to having a terminally ill father today, and seeing the ones I love and care about suffer at the hands of illness, injury, or mistakes they've made in their lives, I want to be the one who cares for people in those situations, because it only makes sense. I know that I will give them 110% of my attention and effort every single time, because I know what it means to be in their position. This is more than just a career for me, it's a life path. So long as I'm judged for the effort that I put forward, and not some silly stigma, I know that I'll be fine.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Well your financial situation kind of necessitates your path regardless of what others think. Seriously though, do whatever is best for you. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. There are pros and cons to both paths, but in the end what matters most is that you put in the effort. X years as an EMT doesn't mean X years being a good EMT.

OP
OP
O

overthinker1515

Forum Ride Along
Well your financial situation kind of necessitates your path regardless of what others think. Seriously though, do whatever is best for you. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. There are pros and cons to both paths, but in the end what matters most is that you put in the effort. X years as an EMT doesn't mean X years being a good EMT.

My financial situation definitely has played a major role in my decision making process, but I did want as many opinions as I could get before coming to any type of decision. If it were a situation where going now was clearly the better path than waiting, I could take out student loans. But I'm very against the idea of being in a large amount of debt. So I feel that by spacing it out, I'll be able to become financially ready, and be fully prepared to become the Paramedic that I want to be.

In any case, thanks again for the very in-depth responses from all of you guys. It's pretty clear to me already that the EMS community is a great one to be a part of. And you can probably expect me to annoy you guys for the next 2 or 3 years with all kinds of questions, as I make my way through school and learning the career.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Hello everyone. I'm currently enrolled in an EMT-B course, starting in August. I'm doing as much as I can to prepare myself (any advice is greatly appreciated), and I've read a lot of information from current EMS professionals regarding the class. Most say it is relatively simple and straightforward, but that there is a considerable amount of studying and reading to be done. My issue is, my student adviser is trying to convince me to take A&P 1 during my EMT-B class, and then go directly into the EMT-P program straight out of graduation. Currently, I don't feel that taking Paramedic that soon is a smart decision, so I'm likely going to wait til I have some experience working as an EMT basic first. But, as for the Anatomy and Phys. class, I'm not sure what to think. Everything I've read states that it is an exceptionally demanding class, that requires an almost ridiculous level of studying and memorization.

While I'm not at all afraid of hard work, I'm not sure I can actually manage (or if it would be wise to try) taking EMT-B and A&P at the same time. The way my classes will be scheduled would have me taking EMT every Tues/Thurs, and A&P on Wednesday. The scheduling alone has me a little worried about being able to absorb the amount of raw information I'm told is required. Now I obviously don't have to take A&P 1 now, but getting it out of the way at the same time as EMT-B does seem convenient, but I'm not one to make decisions without some sort of thought put into it. I'd love an opinion from any of the EMS professionals on this site regarding whether or not they believe I should pair the two courses. And any advice regarding preparing for the EMT-B program, or if you believe I should jump directly into EMT-P after I get my certification, would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance!
If you can do A&P while in EMT, do it. And then go straight into Paramedic. Don't waste your time thinking you need experience as an EMT. You don't.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk