Project Medishare or Similar Organizations

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
My school gives me 3 weeks to volunteer with an organization in late May to early June. I'd love to use this time to work with a group like Project Medishare.

I know they've been discussed on here before, but I'm also looking for other organizations doing similar work either in the US (unlikely, I know) or internationally that take basics. I think I've heard things like this happening at Native American reservations?

MediMike

Forum Lieutenant
I can speak to the abilities of Medishare to operate an amazing program. I've deployed with EMPACT Northwest, who partner up with Medishare at Bernard Mevs in PAP. They do a spectacular job in providing a high level of care that's well organized. Their volunteers are well looked after, and safe. You will be exposed to an incredible experience. Best of luck to ya in finding someone to volunteer with.

MagicTyler

Forum Lieutenant
Medi share took great care of me on a deployment to haiti. At the tinge they were taking basics. Not sure if they still do.

OP
OP
N

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
MediMike & n7lxi - Why did you go with EMPACT instead of directly through project Medishare?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I was living in Washington state and knew most of the EMPACT people already. Matter of fact, I made the logo for the Port-au-Prince medic one shirts.
The girl I was dating had already been to Haiti, and asked me if I wanted to go. I jumped at the chance.

There's a lot more freedom when you do it with EMPACT as opposed to project Medishare. For example, the project Medishare folks are not allowed off the campus, But we were living in a house in Petionville and able to see lots of the city and move about freely.

MediMike

Forum Lieutenant
Agreed. We lived with the medical translators/EMTs along with a housekeeper and cook. True from scratch Haitian food morning and night, fairly sure the fried chicken the first night we were there had just been running down the road earlier in the day. On the commute to the hospital every morning you see a huge slice of the city, and truly get to see how the people live. The MediShare volunteers don't really leave their compound other than to be bused over to the UN's bar/club on occasion.

Both organizations are taking a proactive approach to their aid, but I was doubly impressed by EMPACT. Their organization has set in a framework to allow the Haitians to help themselves (i.e. training a base group of EMT-Bs, and further training others to put on their OWN EMT classes. Give a man a fish etc. etc., so they are doing some great work down there.

Any other questions feel free to PM me