Problem with Partner

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
First off, let me say that you probably don't want to hear this because you are sort of wallowing in the anger of the moment but.....

I have been in a similar situation and even though this person may be dead wrong, totally inappropriate in her behavior and given authority she has no experience in implementing, the bottom line is this: You work in a volunteer agency. You will probably have to continue to work with this person. She will have allies, you will have allies, the backyard discussions over who did what to whom will be flying on both sides. You can be right and still cause all kinds of problems within your department.

So, do you want to solve this, or win it?

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
She's got seniority.
As for the other people on the call:
--Her mom and I are friends, but if she takes sides, she'll stick with her daughter
--The EMT Student agrees with me, but since he's a student, his opinion is useless in the eyes of the powers that be.
--Her husband is staying out of it
--The driver didn't see it

My last option is a meeting this weekend with the Rescue Captain. If that fails, I'm outta there so :censored: fast that it'll make my head spin. However, the Resuce Captain is a very intelligent and reasonable man, and I've got high hopes for the meeting.
I hope that the Rescue Captain will come thourgh. All I have to say is if you decide to leave it is their loss, and the patients also. Once again Sam, I hope that this works out.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
P.S. I hate workplace politics! :wacko:

OP
OP
FF/EMT Sam

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
First off, let me say that you probably don't want to hear this because you are sort of wallowing in the anger of the moment but.....

I have been in a similar situation and even though this person may be dead wrong, totally inappropriate in her behavior and given authority she has no experience in implementing, the bottom line is this: You work in a volunteer agency. You will probably have to continue to work with this person. She will have allies, you will have allies, the backyard discussions over who did what to whom will be flying on both sides. You can be right and still cause all kinds of problems within your department.

You are absolutely right, and I understand what you mean. I want to solve it, but this is just the latest in a long string of disagreements between two groups within my station. Basically, I'm just sick and tired of personal vendettas and egos getting in the way of patient care, and this is the (very large) straw that broke the camel's back. I cannot and will not continue to work there with this festering. Either this gets resolved some way I can live with, or I'm gone.

P.S. I hate workplace politics! :wacko:

AMEN!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

Great point. Sometimes apologizing and mending fences is the only way.

Hopefully the Captian can HELP.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Remember... use the deepest part of the coldest lake and lots and lots of extra weights that won't come loose during decomposition. Have fun!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Remember... use the deepest part of the coldest lake and lots and lots of extra weights that won't come loose during decomposition. Have fun!

Hmm, Speaking from experience ?...lol

R/r 911

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Quick!!! Hide The Duct Tape From Rid!!! :p :p

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
... I'm just sick and tired of personal vendettas and egos getting in the way of patient care, and this is the (very large) straw that broke the camel's back. I cannot and will not continue to work there with this festering. Either this gets resolved some way I can live with, or I'm gone.

Okay, so pull up your bootstraps and face the situation to mend it. You can't wait passively for someone else to resolve it for you. You need to apologize to her for your part in the problem in front of the entire crew, at your next drill. Tell the chief that you want to make it public so there is no mistaking your intentions. Then it's up to her to apologize for her part in it. Then the two of you resolve to put it behind you and to move on. Clean slate.

Bear in mind, if she is a new supervisor with little or no managment experience she is very insecure in her ability to maintain authority with someone who's skills she believes to be equal to or perhaps better than her own. You may have to help her develop her management skills, this is called 'managing up'. Just remember the supervisors do all the crappy work like paper, reports, and answering those cranky phone calls from the cell phone cowboys. With a little support she might get transferred right out of patient care completely!

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
I think even if Sam does apologize again, ( if I read it right Sam did) I just get the vibe that she is either very young and does not know about the rule that you don't bite the hand that is helping you, or she is just thick in the head and no matter what she will always be correct and EVERYONE else is wrong. I just think it bites that the line of BS has just gotten wider in that department. I just hope this supervisor is wise and can mediate and get things on track. I am hopping.......-_-

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
First of all,she was wrong for yelling at you in front of the other crew members,she should of done it in private where no one else was at and talked to you like a professional,and second of all,she shouldnt of thrown the paper with the vitals and SAMPLE on it,she was wrong for doing so,she was also wrong for pretty much makin you look like an a-- Sam for telling you that you dont need to be on the ambulance right now. I understand you and Sarah are friends outside of the job but even what she does to you while on duty can have an effect on your friendship. It is something I would of either sat down with her and talked about or went to her supervisor.