Privatized EMS in Placentia CA

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant
So today is the day the Placentia city council is voting on whether or not to privatize First-in ALS services, and possibly launch their own city FD.

Thoughts, comments, opinions?

I say good for you Placentia. Of course, the OCFA is launching their scare tactics to the mostly uninformed residents, claiming that privatized single function paramedics, and a city FD will somehow provide lesser care to residents and visitors.

FYI, Looking for healthy debates only guys although I’m a little biased towards stand alone municipal / private ems, I’m open to have my mind changed.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
OCFA is losing their minds at the prospect of this. They were already not very friendly to us for having private medics when I worked at Lynch.

On the BLS side, Lynch had the goofy EMTs that all SoCal IFT companies have but most of the medics I worked with were squared away. They all had worked out in Riverside, Palm Springs, Vegas, were tired of that grind and liked what Lynch offered. We walked into some pretty serious calls and those guys were real professionals. It was super refreshing to be with medics who cared about medicine and not fire trucks.

I worked with some really great people there. I hope it works out.

ocfirefighters
***URGENT -- PUBLIC SAFETY AT RISK*** The City of Placentia is considering a plan that would DRASTICALLY cut the level of Fire and Emergency Medical Services in their city. This action would clearly be a reduction in the service levels its citizens have grown accustomed too. Nonetheless It would appear as if The Placentia City Council stands willing to make that gamble with its citizens safety.

On Tuesday, June 4th, The City Council will be voting on whether or not to move forward with a plan to establish their own fire department and contract out Emergency Medical Services to a for profit, private ambulance company. This is a risky move and one that puts the public's safety in the hands of companies that value profit over performance. This radical service model change will take 39 full time, professional firefighters and paramedics away from the tax paying citizens of Placentia.
It should also be noted that less than a year ago, Placentia residents overwhelmingly voted to pass Measure U. Measure U increased the cities revenues by roughly $5 million annually! Measure U funds were to be allocated to "essential city services," that include fire protection and emergency medical services. If the RFP before the council is approved Tuesday night than essentially the citizens of Placentia will have voted for and approved a tax to fund a LESSER service.
We need citizens and stakeholders to voice your concerns at the City Council Meeting on Tuesday, June 4th, at 7:00PM .

OP
OP
I

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant
OCFA is losing their minds at the prospect of this. They were already not very friendly to us for having private medics when I worked at Lynch.

On the BLS side, Lynch had the goofy EMTs that all SoCal IFT companies have but most of the medics I worked with were squared away. They all had worked out in Riverside, Palm Springs, Vegas, were tired of that grind and liked what Lynch offered. We walked into some pretty serious calls and those guys were real professionals. It was super refreshing to be with medics who cared about medicine and not fire trucks.

I worked with some really great people there. I hope it works out.

That Instagram post is actually kinda funny to me. Sounds like a last ditched prop 11 styled effort by the FD to scare the public into believing them. However unlike AMR, it looks like OCFA will not win. If you read their “proposal”, it is actually a letter on how they will not be submitting a proposal.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
is privatizing talking about Medic on the ambulance with private company responding to 911 or placentia making there own fire department?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
How did the vote go?

Medic496

Show strength when weak, and humility when strong
is privatizing talking about Medic on the ambulance with private company responding to 911 or placentia making there own fire department?
The RFP allowed for the ALS provider to choose their mode of deployment since there is already a contracted (EAS) Ambulance provider. Lynch’s proposal was to use ambulances as a non transport vehicle.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas

So very wasteful to use ambulances as non-transporting vehicles. They could do the same thing with like a Ford Focus or something if they care that much about costs and Emergency is still transporting.

OP
OP
I

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant
View attachment 4482
So very wasteful to use ambulances as non-transporting vehicles. They could do the same thing with like a Ford Focus or something if they care that much about costs and Emergency is still transporting.

Well maybe they’re positioning themselves for something. What about Compton fire medics? They’re not the only ones using the non transporting ambulance.

Virgil

Forum Crew Member
View attachment 4482
Maybe a different discussion, but the more I learn about the use of flycars, the more I wonder why SoCal doesn't adopt that type of system if they want to cut costs. I guess the state in question might be the answer as well though.

OP
OP
I

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant
Maybe a different discussion, but the more I learn about the use of flycars, the more I wonder why SoCal doesn't adopt that type of system if they want to cut costs. I guess the state in question might be the answer as well though.
Southern California (LA and Orange counties) aren’t ready for such a drastic advancement in EMS. Not with the vise grip grasp that the FD unions have.
I’m not the biggest fan of Lynch ambulance and what they’re doing. However, the adoption of this model is something that the public needs, although no one can understand that just yet.
I sat at home in my living room, until 1am, watching that city council meeting. This EMS model is the hero we need, but that the public and current system isn’t willing to accept because of the pockets it will be hurting. Give it time though. Lynch will be known as the company who revolutionized EMS in Orange County.

*I am not affiliated with any Orange County agency. My involvement in EMS is all outside of Orange County.*