Preparing for an Interview

WolfTails

Forum Crew Member
Hello Everyone!

I decided to go ahead and write this forum on what to do if you are called for an interview. Below is a list of what I believe are the key points to not just interviews in the EMS filed, but also to any interview you go to. I have had my fair share of really good and bad interviews so I will throw in what I have learned over the years.

1) Be prepared for a call from a potential employer after you have put your applications in. It seems to be the popular thing to have a phone interview first before you actually get to even see anyone for a job. Have a piece of paper and a pen ready to jot down any notes or directions you may need for your face to face interview if you are called for one. One time I was told a list of responsibilities over the phone and during my face to face interview he asked me to repeat the duties he had listed over the phone.

2) Select the appropriate attire. I believe that is it better to be "overdressed" than to be under dressed. I used to work for a bank and nothing irritated me more than when someone came in with wrinkly clothes or wore jeans with holes to an interview. BUY A SUIT. You will need one anyway at some point in your life so you might as well invest in one. If you cannot afford one wear nicely pressed dress slacks with a tucked in button up oxford and a tie. This sounds a little weird but Walmart also has suit jackets for cheap if you feel weird without the jacket. Ladies, wear slacks or a modest skirt. Nothing above knew if you do go with a skirt and a nice dress shirt that does not show any cleavage. Also, stick to very natural and neutral colors when applying make-up. If you do not wear make-up I actually suggest putting a little on. It shows that you care about your appearance and gives you a professional aspect. Stay away from clothes that fit too tightly. Wear something that looks professional and doesn't show every little bump and curve on your body. Set your clothes out the night before so that you are not running around the house like a crazy person trying to find the missing pieces to your ensemble.

3) Go over some interview questions on the internet. There are tons of websites that give you anything from the most frequent to the hardest interview questions that employers ask. It really helped me in a lot of interviews to look these up because 90% of the questions were asked that I looked over. A lot of the time they are going to ask you "Why did you apply for this position?" or "Why should we pick you over everyone else?". Honestly these questions are best answered with your own thoughts. For instance whenever I had applied for an EKG Technician job I was scared to death because I new I was under qualified and I had to "dazzle" my interviewer. Whenever he asked me why I should be picked over the other candidates I told him what I felt, which was that my heart actually cared for the patients I would be helping and that I genuinely cared for them. To conclude that story he called me the next day and offered me the position. Think before you give your answer.

4) Read the Mission Statement on their website. I know it seems kind of stupid, but they don't put the Mission Statement on their website for their own entertainment. The Mission Statement is what the company's motto or basic goal is for their organization. Some interviewers will even ask you what their Mission Statement is about. You don't want to be the one that doesn't know what it says. Just read over it just in case. :)

5) Have a Resume with at least 3 copies ready to hand out. Some interviews have more than one person interviewing you and you want all of them to get a copy. The most I have ever been interviewed at the same time is 5 people. I had a copy for each person so that they didn't have to look off of someone else's copy. Speaking of resumes, I made mine off of a Word template I found online for free. Choose one that is easy to follow and lists the main points you are trying to get across. List all jobs you have had starting with the most recent, your skills, certifications, volunteer work, awards, and references. Resumes are a chance to brag about yourself. There is nothing conceited about pointing out how much better of a candidate you are compared to the others. As long as you keep it all in good form of course. ^_^

6) Before you go into your interview just remind yourself that you can do this. I get nervous before an interview so it helps me to keep positive thoughts in my head and to just remind myself that I know I have the skills and qualifications that they want and that I am going to nail this interview. They called you for a reason right? So don't let your nerves get the best of you.

7) Something I like to keep in mind is that if you look good, you feel good. And when you feel good, you do good. Get everything ready the night before. Your clothes, resume, and questions. Even make sure that you know where to go. Try to drive out to where your interview is going to be at at least the day before so that you are not lost the next day. You don't want to be late because you cannot find the place or something unexpected happens. Arrive at least 15 minutes early to show that you are punctual.

8) Make sure to shake everyone's hand firmly. Nothing is worse than giving them what I call "the dead fish". Make eye contact as well. It makes you seem confident even if on the inside your screaming for help haha! Try to keep any nervous habits down to a minimum. It helps me to just cross my fingers together so that I can't fidget with anything and it also makes me seem calm and composed. Also keep a smile on your face. It makes you seem friendly and like people can openly approach you.

9) EMS interviews tend to involve a written test and sometimes a physical skills test. These are just skills and questions that you have already conquered in the past. I would go over some reviews from your EMT class if you are fuzzy in a few areas and look over some of the skills you learned as well. You have already passed your class, state skills testing, and national registry. You should be able to get through this part easily. :D

10) And finally just relax. You have your clothes, resumes, the directions and your questions ready. You are going to nail this interview!! Make sure to thank everyone with a firm handshake and try to name each of them as you shake their hand. It shows that you pay attention to detail. If you don't get called back, then don't be discouraged. Learn from the interview you did have and try to figure out what went well and what didn't go well. Even call them and ask what you can improve on if you know that the position was handed to someone else.

Happy Job Hunting! :D

OP
OP
W

WolfTails

Forum Crew Member
I showed up in a tank top and shorts. I had a unanimous yes
Congratulations I am happy you got the job! :) I guess I am a little old fashioned, but I do judge people off of first impressions when it comes to interviews. Not saying that I wouldn't give someone the job based on their dress, but I feel that if you wear something nice it shows that you put a lot of thought and effort into preparing. But yay I am happy that you got the job that's very exciting :)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I showed up in a tank top and shorts. I had a unanimous yes

Not that this should matter, but since it does...was this for a paid or volunteer spot?

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Not that this should matter, but since it does...was this for a paid or volunteer spot?

I was personally asked to join . It was a 107 degrees out at the time and it was a nice tank and shorts lol.

It is s volly squad. Believe it or not, we turn down well over half our applicants for some reason or another.

Dan216

Forum Crew Member
I'm just a volunteer and one of the guys suggested I start applying for jobs like Walmart, Micky D's etc.. just so I can go through the interview process multiple times and get experience.

I'm probably going to do that fairly soon! :mellow:

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
Hello WolfTails!

Great advice! I read this over before my interview this morning to make sure I had everything covered.

I did great! It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. :)

OP
OP
W

WolfTails

Forum Crew Member
Hello WolfTails!

Great advice! I read this over before my interview this morning to make sure I had everything covered.

I did great! It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. :)
I am glad your interview went so well! My first interview I ever had was really bad haha. But I have come a long way from then and have learned from my mistakes. I'm happy that my advice helped you out :) if you have any other questions just hit me up :3

OP
OP
W

WolfTails

Forum Crew Member
I'm just a volunteer and one of the guys suggested I start applying for jobs like Walmart, Micky D's etc.. just so I can go through the interview process multiple times and get experience.

I'm probably going to do that fairly soon! :mellow:
I do like the idea of practicing your interviews by doing real ones. It helps to calm your nerves and kind of get your barrings on what interviewers are looking for. It also helped me to practice with my mom and get her to ask me really hard, probing questions. I would be careful though because not all interviewers are the same and some are of poor quality. This sounds a bit cliche but I have applied with my local walmart before and the interviewer was awful. He didn't look at me at all and barely talked to me. He was more concerned with his phone than with me. I still got the job but he basically handed it to me. Not saying that all walmart interviewers are awful, but just look out for the interviewer you might get that doesn't seem to care about you at all.

tylertn21

Forum Ride Along
Thank you. That was a very helpful bit of info! I'm looking forward to some interviews soon myself. . . hopefully.

Used to live near College Station, too. Nice place.

OP
OP
W

WolfTails

Forum Crew Member
Thank you. That was a very helpful bit of info! I'm looking forward to some interviews soon myself. . . hopefully.

Used to live near College Station, too. Nice place.
I had an interview today for a local non-emergency EMS service here in CS. My interviewer stated that when starting out it is better to go with a non-emergency service because you can "perfect" you patient assessment skills. Which makes sense because you can learn better if you head isn't going crazy with all the different things you need to focus on during an emergency call. Good luck with the job hunting! :)

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
I am glad your interview went so well! My first interview I ever had was really bad haha. But I have come a long way from then and have learned from my mistakes. I'm happy that my advice helped you out :) if you have any other questions just hit me up :3

How did your interview go today? :)

This was my very first EMT interview!

Dan216

Forum Crew Member
I do like the idea of practicing your interviews by doing real ones. It helps to calm your nerves and kind of get your barrings on what interviewers are looking for. It also helped me to practice with my mom and get her to ask me really hard, probing questions. I would be careful though because not all interviewers are the same and some are of poor quality. This sounds a bit cliche but I have applied with my local walmart before and the interviewer was awful. He didn't look at me at all and barely talked to me. He was more concerned with his phone than with me. I still got the job but he basically handed it to me. Not saying that all walmart interviewers are awful, but just look out for the interviewer you might get that doesn't seem to care about you at all.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense with poor quality interviewers. I might try it once to get the nerves gone. Most interviews I assume are not as high of quality as fire departments.

Like EasternEMT said, how'd your interview go man? What for and where at?

tylertn21

Forum Ride Along
I had an interview today for a local non-emergency EMS service here in CS. My interviewer stated that when starting out it is better to go with a non-emergency service because you can "perfect" you patient assessment skills. Which makes sense because you can learn better if you head isn't going crazy with all the different things you need to focus on during an emergency call. Good luck with the job hunting! :)

Absolutely. I applied to a few non-911 services, but most are in the bigger cities which are all a good 100 miles away haha. Medic school soon too, so a bit hesitant to have a job that far away. Glad to hear your interview went well & thank you :)

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
Hey EasternEMT what kind of EMT job did you apply for? Hope it went well!

Hi Dan! :)

The position is at a private ambulance company here in town that does emergency and non emergency transfers. And it did go well, really well actually! I'm naturally a very nervous person lol so after finally getting comfortable the interview went smoothly!

Are you in the process of applying to any companies ?

Dan216

Forum Crew Member
Hi Dan! :)

The position is at a private ambulance company here in town that does emergency and non emergency transfers. And it did go well, really well actually! I'm naturally a very nervous person lol so after finally getting comfortable the interview went smoothly!

Are you in the process of applying to any companies ?

That's awesome, and sounds like a great place to start out as a basic!

I'm not currently in the process of applying to any companies. I'm a fairly new EMT (as of January) and am volunteering for a station that's an hour away from where I live. They do let me work one day a week as a third out for $2 an hour though. :p This station recently became an EMS station at the beginning of the year. The county used to have a private ambulance company but it closed. So we went from being just a fire district to both!

They currently run just two man crews, so I'm hoping when we get our new station next year I'll have a good chance of getting in! Just trying to get my foot in the door right now!

Any plans to go advanced or paramedic ever?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I was personally asked to join . It was a 107 degrees out at the time and it was a nice tank and shorts lol.

It is s volly squad. Believe it or not, we turn down well over half our applicants for some reason or another.

Don't you think it is a little bit different to be asked to join a squad as opposed to interviewing at a for profit company though?

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
That's awesome, and sounds like a great place to start out as a basic!

I'm not currently in the process of applying to any companies. I'm a fairly new EMT (as of January) and am volunteering for a station that's an hour away from where I live. They do let me work one day a week as a third out for $2 an hour though. :p This station recently became an EMS station at the beginning of the year. The county used to have a private ambulance company but it closed. So we went from being just a fire district to both!

They currently run just two man crews, so I'm hoping when we get our new station next year I'll have a good chance of getting in! Just trying to get my foot in the door right now!

Any plans to go advanced or paramedic ever?

I'm pretty new too, as of April lol! Are you volunteering so you can gain experience first before working as an Emt ? Or you're hoping that your volunteer work will get you into the station you're with as a paid employee?

Just curious :)

As for paramedic, I'm not sure. I've read a lot here that to be a good paramedic you need to be a good Emt first! What I do know is that my heart is in the medical field it always has been :)
How about yourself?