Prejudice In EMS

JefferyLebowski

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
So here's something I've noticed. I'm not sure if it's just me or my company or what.

I'm going on 6 months on the job, I'm a night basic at a mid sized EMS company in reasonably sized urban area in the midwest. I've noticed females do all the same work, and but up with the same BS as the males, and no one gives them any crap to their face. Those are the key words though. Behind their backs, when we're double or triple posted, the guys start talking, and goes past guy talk to disrespect. Ive seen EMS is full of gossips, especially since we are at work too much to lack much more of a life outside of our jobs, but still the discussion of whose got a nice body, whose too butch, who's a *****, how many guys at the company shes probably had sex with... the term "badge bunny" has been applied to most of the women on my shift.

Ive noticed a trend towards homophobia and transphobia also. We had a biologically male transgender pt a few weeks ago, and my partner was extremely disrespectful to her after we transported her. He called her a he- she and a tranny, and said some things I wont repeat here. Another of the EMTs I worked with told me the story of how another EMT assumed she was gay, and harassed her until she would admit it. She didn't, and she isn't, but that EMT isn't facing repercussions because he's one of management's favorites.

I don't know if its just me, or my company, or maybe my region (there a lot of fire ems around here, so a lot of my coworkers are firefighter wannabes.) I'm' afraid to ask at my company because it's small enough where who I was talking about, and I'm new enough where I really don't care to make enemies. I'm just curious if this is something someone else has noticed?

People are ****ty. EMS is no exception. Keep your head down and get your job done. If it's that bad, try and find somewhere else to work. You're not going to change people.

It's not universal nor is any organization entirely immune to it, but organizational culture is key.
I work in a large (500 medics serving 1.1M) urban/suburban municipal third service (as most services here are). Last time I checked the service is between 55 and 60% female staff in operations. There are a number of out LGBT members, large number of visible minorities, I couldn't quote numbers because as far I know it's not tracked regularly. Like medics anywhere shooting the breezes can run the gamut of topics and few things seem off limits, but at the same time I have seen very little sexism, racism or homophobia. I'm not pretending it doesn't exist, but the important point is that the culture of our organization does not breed an environment where it would seem welcome or acceptable.
If staff feel entirely free to act in such a way, it's because the organization has allowed it either by looking the other way or by having inadequate supervision.

This probably depends on a variety of factors: where in the country you are located, what type of people get hired...

But, by far the largest factor is how the management handles that stuff. You can't change people and their attitudes, but you can expect them to be professional at all times at work, and professionalism has a lot to with the tone that is set by management.

Regardless of people's personal opinions on gays/transgendered people, harassment at work over that is really unacceptable. I realize you're new and if management won't do anything you're pretty powerless, but that's still not cool. It could also be a legal liability for the company in regards to sexual harassment, depending on the state.

At my job we have gay officers and employees and everyone is down with it, so it's not some sort of EMS epidemic, luckily.

For the record...if you wear the badge, I am unsure how you can be a "Badge Bunny". I guess it is possible but we only used that term in my area when referring to one of the many tourists. I started my career in Myrtle Beach so there was an endless supply of tourists, spring breakers and general freaks...those women who pursued us because they were on vacation and we had a badge....thus were dubbed the Badge Bunny. :)

Things will always be said no matter where you go. While it may not make you any friends, if you're not comfortable with a topic of conversation, speak up. Don't go running to your management about it, but tell people you don't want them having those conversations around you.

Breaking news: People are *******s

Sorry you had a bad experience, but you're going to find that anywhere you work to some degree.

When you are cooped up with a partner at a small station or in an ambulance for half your life, you talk, after a bit nothing is off limits, everybody does it. I've talked with partners about friends, family, co-workers, bosses, everything. Everyone's talked about their co-workers with their partners before, who's gay, who's sleeping with who, who would sleep with who, who would you sleep with, who wouldn't you sleep with, ranking on everyone, which bosses suck, which don't, everything.
But when the **** is hitting the fan out there and you and your co-workers are together on a gnarley scene, you know they got your back, and you got theirs.
Guaranteed, right before the call they were probably sitting in their rig, posted somewhere, talking about you. :)

As far as with patients, always be respectful, and/or professional, you're not there to judge them or like them, you're there to treat and/or transport them.

So here's something I've noticed. I'm not sure if it's just me or my company or what.

I'm going on 6 months on the job, I'm a night basic at a mid sized EMS company in reasonably sized urban area in the midwest. I've noticed females do all the same work, and but up with the same BS as the males, and no one gives them any crap to their face. Those are the key words though. Behind their backs, when we're double or triple posted, the guys start talking, and goes past guy talk to disrespect. Ive seen EMS is full of gossips, especially since we are at work too much to lack much more of a life outside of our jobs, but still the discussion of whose got a nice body, whose too butch, who's a *****, how many guys at the company shes probably had sex with... the term "badge bunny" has been applied to most of the women on my shift.

Ive noticed a trend towards homophobia and transphobia also. We had a biologically male transgender pt a few weeks ago, and my partner was extremely disrespectful to her after we transported her. He called her a he- she and a tranny, and said some things I wont repeat here. Another of the EMTs I worked with told me the story of how another EMT assumed she was gay, and harassed her until she would admit it. She didn't, and she isn't, but that EMT isn't facing repercussions because he's one of management's favorites.

I don't know if its just me, or my company, or maybe my region (there a lot of fire ems around here, so a lot of my coworkers are firefighter wannabes.) I'm' afraid to ask at my company because it's small enough where who I was talking about, and I'm new enough where I really don't care to make enemies. I'm just curious if this is something someone else has noticed?

this doesn't happen to be MWMT your talking about, right? It would be funny if it was though. You painted an identical picture to a place I used to work.

My FTO is gay.. If anyone ever gave him a hard time ever I'd twist the a$$hole's nipple off. No one messes with my FTO. He's a brilliant guy, and deserves every bit of respect we have to offer.
The tranny patient? Take a stand bro! Tell your partner that it's not funny, Tranny Fanny is a human being and a patient. End of discussion.
As far as the gossip about the females.. those discussions need to take place in private and not be brought outside closed doors.... If someone wants to talk about my boobies when I'm not in the room, I don't care, I just don't want to have it done to my face or have it brought up to me.

It's okay for you to say calmly, "Alright bro, that's enough.. Did you see these pics of my new floor I put in at my place?" Politely change the subject if it bothers you.

Such is life. Our species is far from perfect, especially when overworked and underpaid.lol > HALT being = hungry, angry, lonely, and tired is a perfect recipe for grade-A aholes.

People can be *******s, that's surely not news. It happens everywhere to some extent. Probably worse in EMS mainly because folks tend to be younger and less mature and because you've got the macho crap that public safety roles attract, and because there's more downtime than in other settings.

Treating a patient badly is never cool. I know it's hard to do when you are new, but you should take a stand against that next time it happens.

The rest of it....meh, who cares. I think we are too sensitive about this stuff.

The rest of it....meh, who cares. I think we are too sensitive about this stuff.

This.
I know quite a few people who just dish s**t out, but throw a temper tantrum if they get any back.

It's probably because of all the wannabe fire fighters. I'm on a medic clinical right now at a fire house and every other sentence spoken contains something bigoted or misogynistic. Granted, this is a more rural department with almost nothing but white guys...

It's probably because of all the wannabe fire fighters. I'm on a medic clinical right now at a fire house and every other sentence spoken contains something bigoted or misogynistic. Granted, this is a more rural department with almost nothing but white guys...
Oh yeah, most definitely. After all, only white guys are bigoted and misogynistic. Sweet bleeding **********, the things people say and believe...:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, most definitely. After all, only white guys are bigoted and misogynistic. Sweet bleeding **********, the things people say and believe...:rolleyes:

Before you get all defensive, I myself am a young white guy. I'm definitely not on the outside looking in, but rather disgusted by many of my peers.

Before you get all defensive, I myself am a young white guy. I'm definitely not on the outside looking in, but rather disgusted by many of my peers.
This really isn't a topic for this place, but I'm ok with running with it.

It doesn't matter if you are on the outside or inside; the fact that you made the statement above makes it very clear that you are insinuating that not only are "white guys" bigoted and misogynistic, but that it is an accepted idea that that would be the case. Essentially what you said here "Granted, this is a more rural department with almost nothing but white guys" is that if you come from a rural area, are a man and white, you're a bigot.

If that wasn't what you meant, maybe be careful about what you say.

Back