pre testing for healthONE PEP?

wildmed

Forum Crew Member
Hey all,
Has anyone on here taken the pre test for healthONE’s paramedic education program? Im taking it on friday and it consists of the HOBET test, EMT& IV knowledge and a basic arrhythmia/ecg test. I’ve been studying a lot of basic EMT knowledge and the 12 basic acls rhythms, but I’m looking to see if there is anything else I should focus on? Not too worried about the HOBET, i’ve heard its easier than the ACT/SAT and I scored extremely high on both of those when I was applying to college 4 years ago. Anyone got any suggestions on new places to look on the web for good practice tests? a lot of the ones suggested on here in old posts don’t exist anymore. Thanks much!

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
Don't blow off the HOBET, I scored a 29 on the ACT and the math section on the HOBET still kicked my ***. If you are uncomfortable with fractions at all I would definitely review them.

The EMT basic test is just like national registry, when I took it there were some questions on there that were hopelessly outdated, but that was a few years ago. The ECG test was just basic rhythms, Sinus, Junctional, Ventricular, along with things like A-fib, A-flutter, WAP, all your premature contractions, 1st-3rd degree blocks etc. You will need more ECG knowledge than the rhythms in ACLS to pass the test or be successful in HealthONE's program.

If you pass all the testing you should have an interview with Dennis and either Dr O'Brian or Dr Luyten (I can't remember if one of the docs was in the interview now that I think about it) which will be a scenario test followed by the usual "Why do you want to be a paramedic?" line of questioning.

HealthONE is a stellar program that I don't think is topped by any program in Colorado or nearby. Pathophys and critical thinking about disease processes and treatment plans is hammered into you from day one. You will be asked "Why does that happen?" "How does that drug work?" A LOT. They have lowered the standards since I went but it's still no walk in the park, and you will walk away from that program far better prepared than many of your colleagues.

Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
wildmed

wildmed

Forum Crew Member
Shocksalot,
Thanks much! That will be immensely helpful.
Maybe I should review a bit for the HOBET. Im about to graduate from CU and have taken through upper division stats for math, I got a 30 on my ACT but that was in 2008. If it was hard for you Im sure it will be hard for me.
Do you have any good sources that you found helpful for reviewing?
Your opinions about the program seem to be pretty universally echoed in the region. Its healthONE or nothing for me to be honest. I want the best education I can get, and I won’t accept anything less.

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
Shocksalot,
Thanks much! That will be immensely helpful.
Maybe I should review a bit for the HOBET. Im about to graduate from CU and have taken through upper division stats for math, I got a 30 on my ACT but that was in 2008. If it was hard for you Im sure it will be hard for me.
Do you have any good sources that you found helpful for reviewing?
Your opinions about the program seem to be pretty universally echoed in the region. Its healthONE or nothing for me to be honest. I want the best education I can get, and I won’t accept anything less.
To be 100% honest I didn't study anything but an ECG book. You sound like a smart dude/tte and probably won't have any problems with the EMT portion of the exam, if you passed NREMT with ease then it should provide little challenge for you.

You probably can blow off the HOBET, I'm not a math person and that was the one spot I struggled mostly due to not having taken a math class since high school. The rest of the HOBET was very straight forward.

With one day left I would spend it on ECGs. Just snag a book from anywhere that covers basic ECG interpretation and bury your nose in it. They may also ask questions about the electrical conduction system, my memory gets a little hazy but don't be shocked if they are on there.

Good luck tomorrow!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Haven't take the HOBET but I did take the TEAS and from what I've been told they are very similar tests.

sir.shocksalot is definitely correct about the math portion. I've always been good at math so it wasn't a problem but I did have some trouble with the science section. It's not high-level stuff at all but a lot of it was stuff I hadn't looked at since HS, when they started asking about plate tectonics and photosynthesis is about when I decided I might botch the science portion.

I used a test practice book/study guide from Barnes & Noble to study for mine.

Sounds like you picked an awesome program, best of luck in the entry process!

OP
OP
wildmed

wildmed

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the help guys! I got my acceptance call yesterday! whoohoo! :D

Last edited by a moderator: