Pre interview question.....question

Cindigo

Forum Crew Member
I just got a email from a local ambulance company that I put a app in with. They're interested, and I'm STOKED! I graduate May 5th, so to have a lead on a job now....I'm thrilled. I think the timining is really good since two local companies just merged and got a huge contract from a new hospital. Mainly they're looking for lots of EMT's to staff the transfer busses, and I have a background as a CNA.

Anyway, the question is, for the written interview, they're asking how much do I expect to make starting out. I think that's a really sneaky, dirty question to try and make potential hires undercut each other but, whatever. I think the right way to go is "whatever normal starting pay is" or something like that.

Just wondering what you guys thought.

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant
If you have an idea of what the pay in your area is put that. Don't sell yourself short just to get the job.

Or put the number that you feel you should work for. As a medic when asked that question I would put $16, unless I knew otherwise.

If you are attractive on paper, but you said you wanted to be paid 14 per hour, but that company actually only pays 12. They arn't going to discount you because of that... you'll get an interview and then they will tell you the pay.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Always put "open for discussion" or "to be discussed in interview".

Truthfully, as an employer I do ask this question just to see what people's expectations are. I already know what I am going to pay as most positions are set in stone. Some positions I have a little wiggle room.

As an EMT do not think they are going to undercut you or give you some high amount. We actually keep the prices very stable and within range of other employees. The last thing we want to do is start you at say $10/hour and then a week into the job you learn everyone else is making $12 or more an hour...employees will and do talk salary even though they shouldn't.

Most reputable employers will also have set scales which cannot be changed on the whim and have built in raises for time in grade, etc to alleviate these HR nightmares.

But until you sit face to face, never discuss a wage.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd say "flexible." It's unlikely how you answer will have an impact on what they offer. If your number is a lot bigger than theirs, they might assume you wouldn't be happy working for much less. Your priority should be to get an offer, then decide if you want to accept it.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I absolutely just hate that question...