"Pre-Education"

Johnny_B_Good

Forum Probie
What more can I do to prepare myself before I take my EMT-B course? I've been reading the forums and some of the scenarios, and honestly have no idea what some of you are talking about. BUT DAMMIT, I WANT TO! I'm hungry for knowledge in this field (nom nom nom).

What book should I buy that introduces some of the theory and practices of an EMT before I buy the text book for my class? Should I start doing anatomy and physiology coloring books and flash cards? Should I stop pretending to know what I'm talking about? haha. :unsure:

atticrat

Forum Crew Member
Buy the text book for class and read it through, before class starts. Will help you loads! All joking aside after you pass the class, go back and read the entire book again, surprising how much more sense everything makes.

A&P is extremly important in EMS so the more you know going in the better.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I read the book before class began so I could have a basic understanding of concepts. I had many more of those "Oh yeah, I remember that" moments in class instead of having to start from scratch.

I also used the book to start creating flash cards of medical terminology, and that's stuff that's easy to study.

I also thought it was helpful to study some of the more challenging parts of EMT-Basic class like anatomy, cardiovascular emergencies, etc.

Good luck!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
1. Stop reading forums.
2. Read the book.
3. take an additional course on the human body.

feldy

Forum Captain
also...check to see if you need to get your CPR/AED for healthcare providers before the class. My class took it during but i know of some that require it prior to the start of class.

other than that, read the book. I didnt take an A&P class before hand but i made sure i read that part front to back so when learning each section, i could easily relate it to the part of body of focus without having to learn A&P for the first time at the same time.

Naota_X

Forum Crew Member
when i signed up for my basic class i had 3 months before it started and they gave me the text book early because i paid in full i read that book every day at least a chapter a day and when i got to class i was able to pick up on so much that i might have had a difficult time if i hadnt read the book before

OP
OP
Johnny_B_Good

Johnny_B_Good

Forum Probie
Yea, If I figure out the textbook, I'm going to order it off amazon and start reading. I'll have about 3 months as well, and should be plenty of time to read everything over. I also have an old A&P book that I borrowed, that I'm going to look over too. Thanks for the input.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Yea, If I figure out the textbook, I'm going to order it off amazon and start reading. I'll have about 3 months as well, and should be plenty of time to read everything over. I also have an old A&P book that I borrowed, that I'm going to look over too. Thanks for the input.

I read the WRONG text but still with good results. The funny thing is, you will encounter words that you may have never seen, or heard spoken and it is a funny feeling when you hear a word for the first time and say in your head "Thats how you say it!!" - You will do fine. The ability to read, and desire to learn are all you need to pass the basic class.

Knightlite

Forum Probie
I would find out what textbook you are going to be using, and really start to read it.

The 11th Edition of Brady is 1246 pages. Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured is over 1200 pages as well. That should be enough information for anyone.

However, one thing you can also do is to start studying the National Registry Skill Sheets. You have to remember that your written test is only one part of the work in obtaining your certification. You also have to pass your practical as well. Many students think the practical is more stressful than the written exam.

Studying the National Registry Skill Sheets and learning what you are expected to do, and in what order you need to do these things, will go a long ways in reducing stress come test time. You will also have an advantage in class, once that begins. The skill sheets are available in PFD format from the National Registry site.

OP
OP
Johnny_B_Good

Johnny_B_Good

Forum Probie
I would find out what textbook you are going to be using, and really start to read it.

The 11th Edition of Brady is 1246 pages. Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured is over 1200 pages as well. That should be enough information for anyone.

However, one thing you can also do is to start studying the National Registry Skill Sheets. You have to remember that your written test is only one part of the work in obtaining your certification. You also have to pass your practical as well. Many students think the practical is more stressful than the written exam.

Studying the National Registry Skill Sheets and learning what you are expected to do, and in what order you need to do these things, will go a long ways in reducing stress come test time. You will also have an advantage in class, once that begins. The skill sheets are available in PFD format from the National Registry site.

WOW! Thanks for the reply, that's really going to help me out. I ordered the Brady book 11th edition (Hardcover, woop woop!), and the amount of pages is staggering! I had no idea. One could easily get overwhelmed with a book of that magnitude, but I'll have a tremendous advantage (if I can actually ADD the class) :p