Praying while on call

Tally

Forum Ride Along
Hi Everyone
I am not an EMT, but found this website.
I saw a question if anyone had ever been asked to call a priest. I'm Catholic, and many Catholics carry cards or wear necklaces requesting a call.
I read many threads from EMTs stating they have prayed, baptized the sick or dying, and miscarried babies and an aborted baby. I can't say enough how l
and thankful for all of you. BTW, I hope I'm fortunate enough to recieve such care if needed. All prayers appreciated! Take care everyone! ❤

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I'm Catholic. When I find out a pt or family member is a fellow Christian and having a hard time, I offer to pray with them. I keep a rosary in my pocket. I also wear my confirmation saint medal and my scapular.

We are not clergy and can't perform baptisms unless there's extraordinary circumstances. Though a dead baby would suffice as that, I would say.

I sometimes just pray with them or give my rosary to upset or mourning person and they start praying it. It can bring a lot of comfort to them.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
I think if the patient asks, and you are comfortable then go for it. Otherwise, not our place. Religion is a touchy subject for a lot of people. I had a partner once who was a devout non-denominational Christian, we had a bathtub near drowning, she immediately tried to tell the parents, it's okay, God has a plan for everything and if they prayed with her, it would all be okay, maybe not the best idea, she almost got fired for it. To the OP's question, no I have never had to call a priest on scene, though I have seen it at the ED many times.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Yeah, that's patient driven.

Although once or twice I may have done something along the lines of "Hail Mary, full of Grace, let this (IV/ETT) slide into place." Another time or two, there could have been a quick prayer caused by the partner's driving or the helo's flying.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
We don't do it on active emergency calls in our 911 center, but for obvious deaths, crisis calls, etc. I encourage my personnel to offer available local resources that are nondenominational, and contact clergy if a family would like.

Personal note, also a catholic. When I was field response I'd say silent prayers on the way to incidents, and kept a blessed Saint Florian medallion in my helmet. I never openly prayed with anyone, but it was also never asked for.