Practicals

KayCline

Forum Probie
I need helpful tips for studying and remembering practicals. Anyone got any?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you talking about the basic skills from class? Bleeding control, CPR, BVM, etc?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
NREMT sheets are your best bet. They lay everything you need to do step by step. Take it a chunk at a time and go through it with a classmate. Do it. Do it again. Rinse wash repeat.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Blunt force memorization...

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Flash cards. Make a stack for every station and use them. From now until you test, you should have a deck of cards in your hands every free waking minute. In line at the store, waiting for a bus, waiting for your sandwich at the deli. All the time you spend with your nose buried in your phone looking at Facebook, instagram, snap chat etc should be spent running through cards.

You should be able to rattle off every step of every station long before you test. Once you have the words memorized, you can work on what they mean.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
just look at the order of the sheet, get all of your key points done... dont start doing a head to toe if you didn't check to see if they're even alive... ABC, blood sweep, crevices, check back, C-spine ect. and finally, they tell you if you can delegate... DELEGATE EVERYTHING YOU CAN, less room for you to screw up. BVM is super easy on the practical which it shouldn't be, as long as there is some aspect of chest rise your good technically, don't put the mask on upside down. Bleeding just remember the order, dont go straight to a TQ, pressure, re-pressure, pressure dressing, instaclot(maybe?) so on and so forth. My biggest issue was the fking traction splint in all honesty, and i still almost got a 100 on that. Go in, be calm, keep your composure and you'll be golden

Grozler

Forum Crew Member
I watched the Nancy Caroline videos on YouTube and wrote the sheets about 10,000 times a piece on a white board.