Practical Question

Chrissy1

Forum Probie
Hello!
I am taking my I-99 practical in two days and I have a few questions.
I was told by many people who have become certified in the last few years that there is a scenario in which your patient is laying on their stomach after taking a nose dive. I was told by one that you will fail if you ensure breathing clear the spine and roll them onto the backboard. Another told me about the same scenario and the first time did that and failed and the second time did that and passed. One of my instructors told me that even though that is how we do it in the field we need to roll the pt half way over secure the airway then clear the spine and then roll them the rest of the way to the backboard. What is the proper way to do this??
Also we have been taught for 9 months that even though in Colorado we cannot cardiovert that we have to know it because it is on national registry. I went for a practice session at the college we are testing at and they told us that we are not allowed to cardiovert. They also said that we still HAVE TO aspirate when starting an IO. There were a few other things that we had been taught that they said were not the same. Should I test the way I learned it or the way that they said to do it?
Also any other pointers would be great!! Thank you!

RemoveTheFear

Forum Probie
Probably too late to help you out, but perhaps will help others going forward. Below is a link to the NREMT advanced level skill sheets, basically what you are scored against. If what you have been taught differs dramatically from the skill sheet I would go by the skill sheet. Be sure and check out the critical criteria at the bottom of each sheet. That's the stuff you have to get right or fail for sure.

Our program tended to go above and beyond what is required by the National Registry (while still hitting all the key points NR requires), and if you just did as you were taught, practied and tested, and practiced and tested, and .... then you would do just fine; and we all did.

http://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/psychomotor_exam_advanced.asp