Posting a PDF

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey 2 questions for the admins (or if other people know).

I have a PDF file of a journal article.

1) Can someone post a PDF on here if it's saved on their computer.

2) The article is online, however on all the sites it's at, one has to pay to view it... So does that mean that it would be illegal in some way if I did post it on here?

To make clear, I'm not trying to take any sort of credit for the research and results/information contained in the article. It's for an educational/informative purpose only.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
1. Upload it somewhere else and link it.
2. That depends on the journal's policies, but your best bet is to just post a link to the PubMed entry if you're only trying to discuss the results. Though I'm no expert on fair use, short excerpts or a summary would work too.

mikie

Forum Lurker
You can upload attachments, PDFs included.

As for (C) issues....being a payed access site, I'm not 100% if it's OK for it to be shared* & discussed on an Internet forum. They might perhaps OK it for a classroom discussion..

*the entire article. I would image quotations with citations would be OK

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Hey 2 questions for the admins (or if other people know).

I have a PDF file of a journal article.

1) Can someone post a PDF on here if it's saved on their computer.
Yes, but you are limited in file size. If you scroll down below where is says "submit reply" or "submit post" you will see where it says "attach files". Click on this and it will take you to the file attachment manager. The window that opens shows what type of file extensions may be uploaded, and their maximum size.

2) The article is online, however on all the sites it's at, one has to pay to view it... So does that mean that it would be illegal in some way if I did post it on here?
Short answer is yes...unless you actually own the copyright to the works.

To make clear, I'm not trying to take any sort of credit for the research and results/information contained in the article. It's for an educational/informative purpose only.

Thanks!

I understand that, and would like to thank you for asking first.

OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Alrighty, thanks guys!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You can always post a link to the site...with a note that it costs money to view it.

OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
I did before, a link to the abstract. Didn't spark much debate so I thought I'd try the full article... I'm guessing people weren't as interested in the article as I was ;)