Possible business idea

EchoMikeTango

Forum Crew Member
While responding to the closest assisted living home ( without a staff of nurses) I was wondering if having an EMT or 2 on staff would help this place. i mean, we go to this place at least 10 times a week.

So i started thinking of the ( almost 15 other) places in the area like this that could benefit from this.

I am trying to put a plan together ( me and my partner) to possibly pitch this to these places.

Things that I have thought of:

Staff
Equipment ( Jump bag, O2, backboard + collers, Radio )
Medical control ( Im thinking I just a doctor to help with this. )
Insurance

Besides this, can you guys think of anything else that i may be missing or over looking. Would I have to get licensed by the state ( NJ ) . Im sure there would be something alson those lines.

I know of some security companies that have EMT/Guards and their own ambulance. Maybe that in the future for this. Let me know what yall think.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Wondering what an EMT could do better than the nursing staff the facilities are not willing to pay for?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Why don't they do it? Cost.

To transport, you're going to have to hire at least two EMTs, staff them 24 hours, 365 days a year, purchase an ambulance, fuel, maintain and house it. Not mention equipment, insurance, benefits, etc.

It would be easier and less expensive to call 911 ten times a week.

OP
OP
E

EchoMikeTango

Forum Crew Member
I don't think they know how to do it. An I know the HUGE cost of a rig. That is a maybe much later down the road. im talking about a crew who is on scene 24 hours a day to be a first responder. I know all the reasons why not to do it.

Also these places don't have nurses. Nurses would also cost a hell of a lot more then EMTs

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Without nurses on staff, hiring EMTs sounds like a forced fit. You're focusing on emergent care, when chronic illness would be a much bigger issue. Besides, that facility already has access to emergent care -- by you and your agency.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Chimpie is right, it is cost.

The cost of having a dedicated crew of two EMTs would be more than the facility could sustain.

In NYC, some homes have a contract with a private service.

Perhaps the staff at the center could be cross trained as EMTs, non-transporting, to begin CPR, defibrillate, etc., or just CPR.

Or a combination EMT/security patrol that made rounds to several facilities and responded to calls. But then what about multiple calls for service ?

IMHO, there should be a sole municipal EMS provider by region.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Can you better describe these places? I've never known of an assisted living facility without nurses.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Can you better describe these places? I've never known of an assisted living facility without nurses.

They are different, to some extent.

My grandparents were in one.

Think of it more as a college dorm.

They had a full one bedroom apartment. There was always people on duty covering maintenance and security issues. There would be a community dinner. There would be activities. Everyone made their own breakfast/lunch/snacks. Many residents still had their own cars.

A doctor would have an office there and made weekly visits.

If someone could not take care of themselves, they got referred to a nursing home.

It was for people who could take care of themselves, in general, but could not deal with broken pipes, downed trees, etc.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I don't think they know how to do it. An I know the HUGE cost of a rig. That is a maybe much later down the road. im talking about a crew who is on scene 24 hours a day to be a first responder. I know all the reasons why not to do it.

Also these places don't have nurses. Nurses would also cost a hell of a lot more then EMTs

What is the value in what your providing to the facility? Calling EMS 10 times a week is not hurting them...

Last edited by a moderator:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
An EMT or even a medic is not the right training to work within an Assisted Living Facility. Our training and focus is on transport-- with treatment along the way, and that isn't what is in the best interest of most Assisted Living patients. Of course, the acute emergencies we are often called for need to be transported-- but often not exacerbations of chronic illnesses. Knowing the fine line between treat in place, call in MD, or send to hospital is one that we just aren't educated enough for. There really needs to be an RN in the building.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
OP, is your service paid or vollie or private ?

IMHO, normal staff at any place, school, etc, could be EMT certified, maybe do ride along in an urban area twice a year to get experience, but having full time paid EMTs, with no other duties, how could that be paid for ?

However, they could add that to the duties of the maintenance or security staff, and then pay them a bit more.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
They are different, to some extent.

My grandparents were in one.

Think of it more as a college dorm.

They had a full one bedroom apartment. There was always people on duty covering maintenance and security issues. There would be a community dinner. There would be activities. Everyone made their own breakfast/lunch/snacks. Many residents still had their own cars.

A doctor would have an office there and made weekly visits.

If someone could not take care of themselves, they got referred to a nursing home.

It was for people who could take care of themselves, in general, but could not deal with broken pipes, downed trees, etc.

This would pretty much kill your business idea, but to me, it would make more sense for these facilities to hire security guards that also have EMT-B, or First Responder, or at least CPR at a minimum and basic first aid. They have the security guards there anyway, why not get more use out of them. And security guard + EMT (as the same person) is not a new concept, either.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
This would pretty much kill your business idea, but to me, it would make more sense for these facilities to hire security guards that also have EMT-B, or First Responder, or at least CPR at a minimum and basic first aid. They have the security guards there anyway, why not get more use out of them. And security guard + EMT (as the same person) is not a new concept, either.

I completely agree.

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
Calling 911 is not costing the facility any money currently. Why would they pay you to help these residents when an ambulance will most likely be required to respond anyway? The resident who requires assistance is responsible for the ambulance fees, not the facility itself.

-BB

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
I actually work as an EMT/Security, at a local Assisted Living/Independent living Facility in the area i live in.. I work the grave yard shift..

it actually works quite well.. saves the facility money on paying for a nurse that s staffed 24/7

we do have a nurse that comes in during the day from 8am-4pm, she does most of the med-passes/general medical care (as well as takes care of any emergencies during her shift)

and from 4-12am we have two emts come in and from 12am-8am we have another two come in to relive them

we make the decision to call ALS or BLS or Wait till the Nurse in the morning
we dont have our own transport ambulance, but if its BLS we call an IFT company and if its ALS we call 911.. most of the time we end up calling BLS IFT Companies..

we also do security things such as walk around/secure gates/check cameras..

all-in-all it works quite well.. we also have a Nursing Home/Rehab Center but that is staffed with a Nurse 24/7 mainly because the Patients there are more Acute and need to be watched constantly

18G

Paramedic
Not a good idea. Calling 911 does not cost the facility anything as already stated. If anything, offering a training program to help staff identify emergencies, learn how to use an AED and actually having AED's onsite, etc. would be a better business venture.