Portable Radios

FF894

Forum Captain
Are you issued your own radio or take the radio from the truck? Does it have just your frequency or surrounding agencies/fire/hospital??

I work for companies that do it both ways. At one place we have our own radios that we are responsible for and if you damage or loose it they want your first born. Other job there are 2 portables charging in truck and you just grab it when you get out. All have ambulance and surrounding towns/hospital frequencies.

JB42

Forum Crew Member
Some of us are issued our own and some aren't. For those that are not there are 4 in each of the rigs for use.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Some of us are issued our own and some aren't. For those that are not there are 4 in each of the rigs for use.

There are how many radios?! :huh:

That being said, a group of us came across a group of HT-1000 VHF portables a while back. Split several ways, it was not expensive for us to all get one, so we did. I use it for work, the Fire Dept, and now, the MICU. It is good to have a lightweight, dependable radio, rather then the bricks that they give us that have frequencies from other counties that will never be used...:glare:

Jaybro713

Forum Probie
In our deparment the crew chiefs all have their own HT-1250's that are provided by the deparment. Then there are 3 radios for the on duty ambulance crew that are with dispatch that we can grab if one so wants to. And then there are 2 charging in the truck.

NJN

The Young One
Usually we have 2 semi working portables (HT1000) for the Crew Chief and second. I came across another HT 1000 from a former squad member for very cheap, as BLSBoy said, its nice to have a brick you can depend on.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Usually we have 2 semi working portables (HT1000) for the Crew Chief and second. I came across another HT 1000 from a former squad member for very cheap, as BLSBoy said, its nice to have a brick you can depend on.

That and the fact we live in Jersey, where its almost the norm to have all the equipment you will need for work to be personally owned....:rolleyes:

NJN

The Young One
That and the fact we live in Jersey, where its almost the norm to have all the equipment you will need for work to be personally owned....:rolleyes:
True, but the day i need to buy my own AED is the day i move.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
True, but the day i need to buy my own AED is the day i move.

I hear ya. I gotta buy an LP12, and we got trouble.

At least at my soon to be MICU job, they buy complete uniforms, with the exception of socks and underwear. :ph34r:

NJN

The Young One
I hear ya. I gotta buy an LP12, and we got trouble.

At least at my soon to be MICU job, they buy complete uniforms, with the exception of socks and underwear. :ph34r:

Lucky, all i got was 2 duty shirts and too many t-shirts, where are you going to be working MICU?

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
AtlantiCare.
I'm on as an EMT now, doing 911 for Linwood, BLS interfacility, and SCTU, when they need an EMT on the truck.
We also are the lead agency for NJ EMS Task Force in the Southern Region, and have an extensive SpecOps Team.

All I'm waiting on is the state to send me my Temp Card, so I can make up the hours that I am short from Fla.

Looking for a job?
We are hiring....

NJN

The Young One
Looking for a job?
We are hiring....

LOL, i just took my state test yesterday, plus its quite a schlep from up here to down there.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Good luck!
From what I am hearing, expect 3 weeks or so for results.

If ya know anyone looking for an HT-1000, there is a good chance I will be selling mine very soon. I got a lead on an MT-1000, and if I get that, the HT will be up for sale.

NJN

The Young One
Thanks, and i'll do some snooping around, go to all the whacker hot spots, see whose itching for their own portable.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
I'm waiting till Friday (thats when Ill know for sure if hes gonna sell it to me or not) before I put it up.

I was gonna put it up on elightbars.org, but those guys can negogiate, so Im hoping for someone less agressive!
haha

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
Management, Supervisors, FTO's and SpecOps (SWAT) team members all have take home radios, newly issued Motorola XTS-5000. All of the units have two portable radios assigned to them, they are the older Motorola MTS-2000.