Poll on empathy and EMS

Which of the following people do you believe make the best EMS professionals

• EMT who remains completely detached and objective and does not allow emotion to affect treatment

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • EMT who treats every patient with empathy and may let this alter his treatment decision.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • A trained chimp in a medic outfit.

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I voted for chimpie. Trained chimp in medic uniform.

JohnJ

Forum Crew Member
I would rather see a compassionate EMT as opposed to an EMT who treated patients as if they were vehicles on a Ford assembly line.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I would rather see a compassionate EMT as opposed to an EMT who treated patients as if they were vehicles on a Ford assembly line.

BS.

When I am hurt or my family is hurt I would prefer someone who goes right through the motions and gets the job done as opposed to someone who is gonna contemplate what I am feeling inside or how they are feeling due to my condition, etc. We can kumbayah later after the crisis has passed...in the moment I need action not thoughts.

The above applies to serious or critical patients.

The majority of your BLS calls, sure have a group hug.

JohnJ

Forum Crew Member
BS.

When I am hurt or my family is hurt I would prefer someone who goes right through the motions and gets the job done as opposed to someone who is gonna contemplate what I am feeling inside or how they are feeling due to my condition, etc. We can kumbayah later after the crisis has passed...in the moment I need action not thoughts.

The above applies to serious or critical patients.

The majority of your BLS calls, sure have a group hug.

There's a difference in caring and understanding as opposed to not giving a damn.

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
I guess what I don't get is why this is such an all-or-nothing issue with some people. You can strike a balance, you know. Caring doesn't mean you're emotionally involved and being technically proficient doesn't mean you're heartless.

You can be both caring and technically proficient (in fact, I'd argue you SHOULD be caring AND proficient); you can treat someone with kindness while not allowing emotions to dictate your treatment plan.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Start from a position of objectivity

Then be mindfully compassionate and generous.

If you can't, then fake it.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
There's a difference in caring and understanding as opposed to not giving a damn.

If "they" or I did not give a damn, would we be going through the motions and trying to assist the person?

The reality is not matter how much someone projects a "do not give a damn" attitude, on some level they are feeling it but they have it under control and know when it is appropriate to show or not show.

I stand by when the fecal matter hits the air oscillator, I want the Terminator. When my pocket is full of sunshine, give me Patch Adams.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I don't think you have to be compassionate to be a GOOD medic, either. Is an uncaring medic not capable of learning what needs to be done, and implementing it? Are they not able to do IVs, give meds, etc?

And like before I'll even venture to say they are BETTER becasue they don't let their emotions get the better of them, nor are they distracted by the bad call before the current one.

They also would be more apt to treat patients fairly in an MCI, not the subconcious "You need more care but I'm going to work on the people you hit, you drunk jerk."

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I've consciously thought as drivers pass me unsafely

"If I see him in the ditch ahead, I'm calling 911 as I drive by".
Happily, never tested.

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
I don't think you have to be compassionate to be a GOOD medic, either. Is an uncaring medic not capable of learning what needs to be done, and implementing it? Are they not able to do IVs, give meds, etc?

And like before I'll even venture to say they are BETTER becasue they don't let their emotions get the better of them, nor are they distracted by the bad call before the current one.

They also would be more apt to treat patients fairly in an MCI, not the subconcious "You need more care but I'm going to work on the people you hit, you drunk jerk."

I'd agree if the only measure of an EMT's effectiveness was their technical proficiency. But since it's not, an EMT's ability to build rapport, relate well to a patient and connect on a genuinely human level must be taken into account when judging just how good someone is.

Not every call is the "bad one." Many calls require nothing more than a good demeanor. Lonely patients who just want someone to talk to or are scared about the way they're feeling will not benefit from an EMT who lacks interpersonal skills and can only focus on EKGs, IVs, medications and the like. A psychiatric patient who has to be calmed and feel mutual trust will not get better because an EMT is only good at applying bandages and non-rebreathers.

I think good EMTs understand and develop technical AND personal skills. Despite the "T" in "EMT" this isn't a strictly technical field we're in.