Pocket mask vs BVM

Av8or007

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not exactly sure what it is either, but aerosol therapy from a neb or large vol neb usually needs larger bore tubing from neb to pt.

If not, im assuming aerosol/fluids could collect in the o2 tubing going to the pt and impede gas flow.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
ThadeusJ gets my vote for "T-Shirt of the Week":

As we know, the death knell for quality is doing something because "we've always done it this way and it seems to work".

But remember: sometimes that's all you've got.:sad:

ThadeusJ

Forum Lieutenant
Sorry all, stepped away for a bit...yes, this setup is an armful of respiratory pieces that can fit together...so here's what they did to provide humidification for nasal cannula (starting at the oxygen outlet): hook up a high humidity nebulizer made to attach to wide bore tubing, which goes to a mask or trach mask for maximal humidity (these humidifiers have venturis on them as well to adjust FiO2)...then they attached another venturi (used on venturi masks) so now this venturi is actually attached "backwards" in the system...THEN they attached the nasal cannula to the nipple...given the use of the venturi used as a connector, I doubt much oxygen made it to the patient.

I have actually seen this very setup in a paramedic text (possibly written by the ICU nurse who set this setup up). This picture was posted by a RT colleague in some hospital in the US.

The message I wanted to convey is "just because its in a text, it ain't necesarily correct".

Last edited by a moderator:

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
BVM is the way to go. You don't know how long it's been since you paitent touched a toothbrush haha.

rockyfortune

Forum Probie
I just finished up emt school on march 27th and i can say all they talk about is pocket masks...they make you do a skill station cpr/aed with a pocket mask...they stress that its hard to get a good seal with a one person bvm--but bvm for an apneic patient skill station you are a one man show...doesn't make sense to me but that's how it is taught.