Please Help - Student Assignment on Professional Boundries for Paramedics

icekayak

Forum Ride Along
Hi Everyone,
I'm working on a assignment for my degree and need to write about the 'concept of professional boundries for paramedics' (vauge yes but its all i have), and I am wanting some input from paramedics as what topics/areas they feel may be contained under that heading.
(the 2nd part of the assignement then goes on to include legislation in my discussion relating to a high standard of care for our pt's etc.)

Thanks
Chris

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
It depends what state you're in... your state department of transportation or department of health (probably health) should have a detailed website.

Do you have any specific questions we could try to answer?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Also, it would help if you could clarify what type of professional boundary you're talking about:

Ethical
Medical
Legal
etc...

OP
OP
I

icekayak

Forum Ride Along
yeh unfortunately that is what i was hoping you guys may have some idea of.. but no worries i'll work something out.

Thanks anyway :)

OP
OP
I

icekayak

Forum Ride Along
Just to get organised on the next assignment coming up....

Does anyone know of any published (eg JEMS, Journals etc) cases regarding an impacted patient outcome as the consequence of missed/poor primary survey. I need to discuss some specific examples :) and have spent hours reading through jornals with very little :sad:. There is a number of cases where it has been the result of a missed secondary survey (spinal, shrapnel etc) but very few regarding primary...

(Primary survey being Safety, Response, Air, Breat, Circ, Disability, etc...)

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
icekayak said:
Hi Everyone,
I'm working on a assignment for my degree and need to write about the 'concept of professional boundries for paramedics' (vague yes but its all i have), and I am wanting some input from paramedics as what topics/areas they feel may be contained under that heading.
(the 2nd part of the assignement then goes on to include legislation in my discussion relating to a high standard of care for our pt's etc.)

Thanks
Chris

Thats about as vague as it gets. Narrow down your focus on a specific issue and I'll try and help. Artificial blood studies (polyheme) might be a good place to start. There are all kinds of ethical, medical, and legal issues there and currently a lot of info from professional medical sources.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
icekayak said:
Just to get organised on the next assignment coming up....

Does anyone know of any published (eg JEMS, Journals etc) cases regarding an impacted patient outcome as the consequence of missed/poor primary survey. I need to discuss some specific examples :) and have spent hours reading through jornals with very little :sad:. There is a number of cases where it has been the result of a missed secondary survey (spinal, shrapnel etc) but very few regarding primary...

(Primary survey being Safety, Response, Air, Breat, Circ, Disability, etc...)

Maybe find an article on paramedics pronouncing people dead in the field only to later find they're really alive. This happens more than you probably think.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Guardian said:
Maybe find an article on paramedics pronouncing people dead in the field only to later find they're really alive. This happens more than you probably think.

If I remember correctly, there's been a couple of stories about that posted here. The most recent one happened in NC (???).