Places to Search for EMT Employment

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone know what are good websites to look for Ambulance Agencies hiring for EMT-B's?

Do you have to know the Ambulance Agencies in that area before you can look?

I'm new at this, so any and all help is appreciated.

Oh, and if there's a past posting, I do apologize. Just direct me to the thread and I'm on my way.

Thanks!

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The school where you took your EMT class will usually have a listing of ambulance services in your area. Also, when you were doing your ride time, that was a great way to network for employment opportunities. And, you can pay attention to all the ambulances you see on the road each day and look up their websites.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Your local (county) EMS agency should have a listing of all the local ambulance companies. From there, start checking websites. If it's a common name (e.g. Care Ambulance) google the ambulance name and your county or state name.

OP
OP
highvelocity84

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
Hmmm

The school where you took your EMT class will usually have a listing of ambulance services in your area. Also, when you were doing your ride time, that was a great way to network for employment opportunities. And, you can pay attention to all the ambulances you see on the road each day and look up their websites.

I guess what my problem is: is that I don't know if I want to stay in the area that I am in now. I have maybe 2 friends here and that's it. Nothin' else keepin' me here except the job that I have now til I get on with an ambulance company.

All our teacher did was tell us how to sign up for National Registry. He didn't tell us how to find ads of employment or anything.

Our teacher does the bare minimal. I couldn't even get him to help me outside of class b/c he doesn't get paid for it. Our teachers don't have office hours. It's through an ROP program.

When I did my ride time, it was through an ambulance company that is out in the sticks. LOL. The ambulance I wanted to ride with isn't affiliated with "our school" so I couldn't network with anyone there. There are two or three main ones here, but I'm not sure 'bout wanting to stay in the area.

Thought maybe there might be some sites online.

Code 3

Forum Captain
You can do an online search here:

http://www.jems.com/careers/index.html

There's also Monster.com, SimplyHired.com, and CraigsList.com

Also, check the websites of big companies like Rural/Metro and AMR to see they have openings in any areas that you would like to move to.

OP
OP
highvelocity84

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
You can do an online search here:

http://www.jems.com/careers/index.html

There's also Monster.com, SimplyHired.com, and CraigsList.com

Also, check the websites of big companies like Rural/Metro and AMR to see they have openings in any areas that you would like to move to.

Thank you Code 3!

I appreciate it a lot. I know I have some research to do on my own (pay vs. living costs & a few bills) to see if its worth moving.

Happy Holidays!

whitecrossknight

Forum Ride Along
So far my experience in EMS is that there's not much online as far as decent, current job openings for EMT-B level. It can be difficult to get hired unless you know someone that can at least be like "Hey, I know that guy...."

Just my personal findings so far...

JPINFV

Gadfly
^
It also depends on where you're at. Most places outside of the population centers are going to have way more EMTs than jobs. Most urban areas are going to have a large demand for transport jobs that will at least put you on an ambulance in contact with patients (albeit normally not acutely ill patients) and a paycheck in your pocket.

NolaRabbit

Forum Crew Member
Look in the phone book for the private services in your area.

Try to talk with the 911 responders you may see on the street. They can give you a gist of what the culture is like at each individual service, too. If the system is fire-based where you are, stop by a station and chat with someone.

Good luck!

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Do you have any idea where you would like to move to? There are forum members from all parts of the globe here so if you have a general idea of the area you'd like to move to there's a 90% chance that someone here will be at least familiar with that area. Also, in "the break room" there's a sticky topic with links to a bunch of services websites if you want to dig a little deeper and read about the different services from different areas.