Phlebotomy

FeatherWeight

Forum Crew Member
Shortly after high school i became certified as a phlebotomist and now im in EMT school. Just wondering if starting IVs on PTs is out of my EMT scope even though im certified to do so.
Any input is much appreciated :D

Last edited by a moderator:

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
You will have to check your agency's medical direction. There are many things that can be included in a basic's scope, as long as the medical director is on board and approves.

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
Shortly after high school i became certified as a phlebotomist and now im in EMT school. Just wondering if starting IVs on PTs is out of my EMT scope even though im certified to do so.
Any input is much appreciated :D

For all intents and purposes...no IV's for you. If it's not within your state's defined scope of EMT practice, and you are involved with a patient in the capacity of an EMT you can't do it.

Edit: dstevens is correct, although this practice seems to be highly location-dependent, and in general isn't the norm. In my area, for example, it rarely if ever happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

chuck stank

Forum Probie
As an MA in my state you could start i.v.'s and give injections. But that probably doesn't really have anything to do with your question.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Folks: the OP's in San Diego. Unless he's specifically accredited to start IV's by the EMS Agency, those are out of scope for him. Sorry.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
CHeck your state EMA regs

Then your local EMSA, then your company rules....the regional Emergency Medical Service Authorities have a LOT to say about what's ok and what isn't.

WickedGood

Forum Crew Member
You can start IV's as a phlebotomist? Where I come from phlebotomists can do one thing and one thing only and that is draw blood.