Philadelphia - City EMS: Dying for attention

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
City EMS: Dying for attention

By DAVE DAVIES

daviesd@phillynews.com 215-854-2595

WHEN RICHARD BADWAY heard that former Philadelphia School Board President Rotan Lee died after waiting nearly 20 minutes for an ambulance, he just shook his head.

Badway's 22-year old son, Ricky, died last October after he collapsed in a Roxborough apartment, and it took 22 minutes for a Fire Department ambulance to arrive.

<SNIP>

Richard Badway wonders if a quicker response would have saved his son, an apparently healthy young man who experienced an irregular heart rhythm.

<SNIP>

In both Rotan Lee's and Ricky Badway's cases, a fire engine arrived relatively quickly with cardiac defibrillators and other basic medical aid. But both men had longer waits for ambulances with paramedics who could render more advanced care - and take the patients to the hospital.

<SNIP>

"It's apparent there aren't enough medic units to cover the city adequately," Councilman Jim Kenney said in a recent interview. "That's clear from information we're getting about how long it takes to respond."

<SNIP>

"Sometimes during the day, every unit is out," Ayers told Council during his testimony. "They're running, they're crisscrossing. They're going all over the place."

<Snip>

But Dave Kearney, the recording secretary of the local firefighters union and a 14-year paramedic, said in a recent interview that things in the EMS system are worse than they've been in years.

"People are waiting 20 minutes for a medic unit every day," Kearney said. "People are dying waiting for ambulances."

"It's frustrating for me and other paramedics to watch this," he said. "It's hard when you look at a person who's very sick and say, 'I should have gotten here earlier.' "

Kearney believes that as 911 medical calls have increased in the last few years, the Fire Department hasn't planned to keep up with it, and that the system has reached a crisis point.

The Fire Department's deputy commissioner for operations, Ernest Hargett, said in an interview that 20-minute response times "are not the norm. They are the cases that attract attention. And they're the ones people like to point out as the weaknesses within the system.

<SNIP>

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/14581707.htm

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
The bad part is that the article is actually CORRECT for the most part.

I did think Philly had 40 medic units, not 42.

podmedic@mac.com

Forum Crew Member
Urban EMS is having problems all over

Washington D.C. EMS has been having similar problems, too. I suspect that such issues will get worse before they get better.

With the progressively aging population, an ongoing shortage in EMS and Nursing providers, hospital diversions, and lack of primary care insurance pushing more and more people to the ER's for basic health care, I believe that all sectors of the health care chain need to come up with new and innovative solutions.

It's interesting though. I run in a rural area, staffed by volunteers. Sadly, a 20 minute wait for transport is the standard and not the exception.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I see a relatively easy solution. Why not have privates respond and transport?

Begin flame wars.... now!

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
It is in the city Charter for the city to provide all emergency services (or something similar) It has been talked about in the past... and the answer is NO...

But if only... we could go California-Style...
news_kit_photo_08.jpg

Yeah, Baby!

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
40 rigs running in the city of how many people? I have been to Philly often but do not have any idea how many live there. Just want to compare to our 7 during the day and 5 at night for approx 200,000 folks.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
MedicStudentJon said:
It is in the city Charter for the city to provide all emergency services (or something similar) It has been talked about in the past... and the answer is NO...

But if only... we could go California-Style...
news_kit_photo_08.jpg

Yeah, Baby!

AMR lists many job openings in Philidelphia tho - is that incorrect? Or do they only do transfers?

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Philly AMR does transfers... but I think they do have many openings... including a dispatch supervisor :rolleyes: