Pharmacology

surub

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys I was wondering are there any Pharmacology for Dummies type books.

I want to expand my knowledge of drugs and because, I was chatting with a medic I ride with, and she said that knowing medication is a valuable tool in assessing the pt.

Thanks,
~surub

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Take a couple of college level Anatomy and Physiology classes and then enroll in a college level pharmacology class.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Could try getting a good pharm book also but college A&P and pharm would be a great idea!

OP
OP
surub

surub

Forum Crew Member
Take a couple of college level Anatomy and Physiology classes and then enroll in a college level pharmacology class.

Ehh, Unfortunately I'm still in high school and unable to take take college classes. But, I guess next year I could hit those classes up.

Thanks,
~surub

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Without having a thorough understanding of anatomy and physiology, what you read in a pharmacology book will make very little sense. Or, the pharmacology may be so over simplified it is of very little use.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
surub

surub

Forum Crew Member
Without having a thorough understanding of anatomy and physiology, what you read in a pharmacology book will make very little sense. Or, the pharmacology may be so over simplified it is of very little use.

Yeah I can see how that works. :p

So I guess my best bet is just to wait until I go to college next year, and take A&P and Pharmacology.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If you do NOT get a good foundation in A&P, at best, you'll struggle with the material.

What may also be of help is getting a little drug guide or an EMS pocket guide. When you go on calls, if you have time, look up those meds you find and the guide will tell you what conditions/problems they're prescribed for. These pocket guides will NOT tell you how the drugs work, how they're cleared, how they're typically prescribed, and so on. They're NOT a PDR or NDR. They're not perfect by any means, and they're not comprehensive (I've seen meds prescribed that weren't listed in the guides.) It's a start... and you shouldn't stop learning about the meds.

Once you get into College, definitely take the A&P courses and a pharmacology course. You'll learn a LOT that you can use and later on down the educational road, it'll make things a LOT easier for you to understand.

I think you might be looking more for something like this (and they're often at your large box and medical bookstores):
BLS_drugs_65.png

I got that right off the Informed BLS guide preview page.

I happen to prefer their ALS version for this stuff as it's a bit more informative, but there's fewer drugs listed. Some of that stuff just won't make sense until you've had at least A&P under your belt, and after taking Pharmacology, it'll look, well, very simple.

ALS_drugs_128.png

OP
OP
surub

surub

Forum Crew Member
If you do NOT get a good foundation in A&P, at best, you'll struggle with the material.

What may also be of help is getting a little drug guide or an EMS pocket guide. When you go on calls, if you have time, look up those meds you find and the guide will tell you what conditions/problems they're prescribed for. These pocket guides will NOT tell you how the drugs work, how they're cleared, how they're typically prescribed, and so on. They're NOT a PDR or NDR. They're not perfect by any means, and they're not comprehensive (I've seen meds prescribed that weren't listed in the guides.) It's a start... and you shouldn't stop learning about the meds.

Once you get into College, definitely take the A&P courses and a pharmacology course. You'll learn a LOT that you can use and later on down the educational road, it'll make things a LOT easier for you to understand.

I think you might be looking more for something like this (and they're often at your large box and medical bookstores):
BLS_drugs_65.png

I got that right off the Informed BLS guide preview page.

I happen to prefer their ALS version for this stuff as it's a bit more informative, but there's fewer drugs listed. Some of that stuff just won't make sense until you've had at least A&P under your belt, and after taking Pharmacology, it'll look, well, very simple.

ALS_drugs_128.png

Yeah I have the BLS version and I have started learning the drugs slowly from each call I do.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
actually.... a good base level book to help you get some understanding would be a PTCB review book....

I learned a lot about pharmacology there before I had my RX Tech licence and since attaining that licence a few years ago... my knowledge has only gained.... I recommend getting one if you want to expand your knowledge in pharmacuticals

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey guys I was wondering are there any Pharmacology for Dummies type books.

I want to expand my knowledge of drugs and because, I was chatting with a medic I ride with, and she said that knowing medication is a valuable tool in assessing the pt.

Thanks,
~surub

You could start an A/P and Pharm background if college is'nt in the picture yet by getting two texts:

Brady's - Prehospital Emergency Pharmacology
Brady's - Anatomy and Physiology for Emergency Care

OP
OP
surub

surub

Forum Crew Member
You could start an A/P and Pharm background if college is'nt in the picture yet by getting two texts:

Brady's - Prehospital Emergency Pharmacology
Brady's - Anatomy and Physiology for Emergency Care

Thank's I'll check those books out.

~surub

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Is this list up to date as far as what one should be expected to be learning? Every pharm list i look at seems to have a few different drugs on it :p

Last I looked in December it was only 2 short of what was on my course list.