pertinent negative

cointosser13

Forum Crew Member
What's a pertinent negative, in the world of ems? could you give me some examples?

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
A pertinent negative is a negative finding (sign, symptom or something from the scene or history) that is pertinent (appropriate) to ruling out your diagnosis of exclusion

A pertinent negative must be appropriate, for example of the primary problem is vomiting and dehydration then "no added heart sounds" is not a pertinent negative whereas "no dysuria" might be, likewise if the problem is "fall and broken leg" then "no leukocytosis" is not a pertinent negative whereas "no loss of consciousness" is.

If you want to rule out myocardial ischaemia then no chest pain or history of cardiac disease is a penitent negative whereas if you want to rule out cervical spine injury at a road crash then no neurological signs or symptoms and no significant damage to the vehicle are pertinent negatives.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
What's a pertinent negative, in the world of ems? could you give me some examples?

A pertinent negative would be the patient answering "no" to a question that helps narrow down what's going on. For a patient with chest pain, if the patient answers no to hemoptysis (coughing up blood), it helps to rule out things like pulmonary embolism.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Both. Use it for your justification of how you treated a patient.

Chest pain for 3 days, sharp, non-radiating, pinpoint in nature, reproducible upon palpation, hurts more when breathing, no nausea, no cardiac history, age in the 20s.... probably not an MI, and as such I won't treat it as an MI, documenting all that I just stated here.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
is this documented or is the pertinent positive documented?

Or both

In an imaginary chest pain scenario, the documentation would look like "pt c/o substernal chest "pressure", with difficulty breathing. States the onset was while shoveling snow, denies nausea/vomiting, no LOC, skin is pale warm and dry."

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Both. Use it for your justification of how you treated a patient.

Chest pain for 3 days, sharp, non-radiating, pinpoint in nature, reproducible upon palpation, hurts more when breathing, no nausea, no cardiac history, age in the 20s.... probably not an MI, and as such I won't treat it as an MI, documenting all that I just stated here.

GMTA, only mine wasn't a negative scenario.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Th pertinent negative is what your clinical instructor will keep changing her or his mind about when the rest of your history-taking or lab interpretation is spot on.

Ditto the attorney when you are on the stand.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes, pertinent negatives are documented as part of writing up your historical examination and physical findings.