Personalized EMT/Paramedic bags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
Some services require you have a specific bag so that they all match.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
I would back having "don't get killed when you stop to help on the side of the road" gear. Reflective vest, road flares, flashlight etc.

I don't see good justification to stop for a roadside "emergency", unless your really in the middle of nowhere.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I would back having "don't get killed when you stop to help on the side of the road" gear. Reflective vest, road flares, flashlight etc.

...but those aren't necessarily for EMS. EVERY car should have emergency flares in it.

zmedic

Forum Captain
Lifeguards For Life; said:
I don't see good justification to stop for a roadside "emergency", unless your really in the middle of nowhere.

1. Good practice for patient assessment.

2. It's a nice thing to do, cuts down on the time between the accident and someone showing up and going "hey, I know what to do, it's going to be okay."

3. Breaks up a boring day.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If you need to practice your patient assessment, then you're ability to assess and treat have not advanced to the point where you should be working alone. Similarly, I'm going to question a person's ability to take control of a scene if they need to practice their assessment (provided they weren't involved with other emergency services prior to becoming a basic).

Last edited by a moderator:

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
If you need to practice your patient assessment, then you're ability to assess and treat have not advanced to the point where you should be working alone. Similarly, I'm going to question a person's ability to take control of a scene if they need to practice their assessment (provided they weren't involved with other emergency services prior to becoming a basic).
quoted the wrong post. sorry

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
1. Good practice for patient assessment.

2. It's a nice thing to do, cuts down on the time between the accident and someone showing up and going "hey, I know what to do, it's going to be okay."

3. Breaks up a boring day.

what will you do to help his patient?

zmedic

Forum Captain
By practice I mean the same practice you get running any call. More calls=more experience. I don't care if you've been in EMS for 5 years, there is still something to learn from every call.

I'd argue assessing the patient, putting some gauze on their cut, etc makes them feel better. Isn't that the main point of why we do EMS? Truth is very few of our patients will live or die based on our interventions, what we are doing is caring for people. And I think it makes them feel better if they aren't waiting as long for someone who knows what they are doing is assessing them.

Also it can help the responding providers when there are lots of patients. Once I was the first at a 5 car accident, when the first unit arrived I could say "that passenger there is the priority, she's the most hurt."

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
pretty sure there are like a billion threads on topics like whackers and what to have/what not to have in your vehicle.... this thread is for duffle bags

zmedic

Forum Captain
Forget a bag, just get one of these to let people know how hard core you are.
EMT-Holster---RSRB0056.jpg

OP
OP
CountryEMT-bGurl

CountryEMT-bGurl

Forum Lieutenant
Okay listen!!! I am not getting this duffle bag to be a "Whacker" What ever the Hell that means!!!
I am a GIRL and this is what I like to do!!! I just did a search for duffle bags and this one popped up! And yes it say's EMS!!! Who cares! If someone judges me because my bag is PINK and has my name and EMS on it! Then maybe you need to get into another career!! This is WHO I AM, and guess what I am not changing it for anyone!!! If you dont like it, close your eyes!!

I am getting this duffel bag to put extra clothes, TAMPONS!! Unless you guys want to see them laying out everywhere! UNDERWEAR, and no I dont wear grannies. And anything else I feel like I will need on my 24 shift! I am not going to stuff it with my own personal AMBULANCE!!

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
U Go Gurl!

I am a GIRL and this is what I like to do!!! I just did a search for duffle bags and this one popped up! And yes it say's EMS!!! Who cares! If someone judges me because my bag is PINK and has my name and EMS on it! Then maybe you need to get into another career!! This is WHO I AM, and guess what I am not changing it for anyone!!! If you dont like it, close your eyes!!/QUOTE]

Hey Gurl!

Don't let these guys get to you. Unfortunately, the thread went a little off topic. It is understandable that being new to EMS that you are excited and proud to be an EMT. Especially an "Employed EMT"! I would be happy to have someone like you who is enthusiastic and eager as a partner.

FYI, a whacker is someone who goes overboard with their enthusiasm. This is the person who only wears shirts with a Star of Life or Maltese cross on them. They have "emergency" lights on their privately owned vehicle (POV). They have a scanner and listen for the calls so they can respond in their POV even if they don't have a duty to respond. The sad thing with whackers is that if they would put their energy into being the best EMT or Firefighter, they wouldn't be a whacker.

We all have a little whacker in us. As long as we know our $hit, then don't worry about what others think!

OP
OP
CountryEMT-bGurl

CountryEMT-bGurl

Forum Lieutenant
wyoskibum-
Thank YOU!!! ;)

I think there is a difference between "Proud to do your job" then "Proud to be THE TITLE of your job"
If that makes sense!

This isnt my first walk in the health care field! Like I have stated before, i've worked ER tech, I work now in our local Nursery! I truely care, about caring for others!!!

And your Damn straight I am "Proud to do my job"!! And this is what I am excited about. I am excited NOT because I can be classified as an EMT, but I am excited because I do TRUELY feel like I have found my life long career!
Which SOME never find that in life! It feels like a weight has been lifted off my chest now that I know my plans, and my future with my life!
It's sucks being miserable and not knowing which way to turn!!

So yes, I am VERY excited to have this oppurtunity to become a person who ENJOYS there career!!

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Country Girl... I hope you took my comment in jest about the ambulance. Up where I live, we cover a large area with few people so all of the EMT'S and medics have "jump" bags I guess they are called. Many have thier own, but they are all identified with thier radio/helmet shield call numbers.

More often then not the ambulance rolls with just a driver and the EMT/MEDI goes direct.

Not to mention the fact that we all have lives, coach sports, have chilren, etc... and any one of us are the type of people who had first aid kids in our cars before we got into this so carrying supplies is nothing new.

I am proud to be an EMT student, and cannot wait until the day I can be an EMT like you.

We have whackers on the department too...

mcdonl

Forum Captain
FYI, a whacker is someone who goes overboard with their enthusiasm. This is the person who only wears shirts with a Star of Life or Maltese cross on them. They have "emergency" lights on their privately owned vehicle (POV). They have a scanner and listen for the calls so they can respond in their POV even if they don't have a duty to respond. The sad thing with whackers is that if they would put their energy into being the best EMT or Firefighter, they wouldn't be a whacker.

We have these two guys who always wear thier 5.11 gear, scissors, radio's, belt attachments, fully decked out POV's, etc... but are not EMT's or first responders... one guy is so large I guess Gall's is the only place he can shop for his size. That statement tell's me a lot about what happens to people in EMS :)

OP
OP
CountryEMT-bGurl

CountryEMT-bGurl

Forum Lieutenant
Country Girl... I hope you took my comment in jest about the ambulance. QUOTE]

I did!! I thought it was funny!! :p
And I understand the people who are "Proud of being THE TITLE of EMT" you'll have those people everywhere! People who lack the "feeling important" somewhere in there life. So act this way to full feel something they feel a void of! Which may be some type of therapy for these people. I don't know. I'm not here to judge. So as long as it doesn't effect me, I don't care! And that's how I've always rolled!

Being a Equine Dentist (horse dentist) which is also a man's field. I have fought tooth and nail to gain respect from my customers. And I have!!! Did it help that I should up with ALL PINK tools, and a bright purple stock trailer!! NO! Once I did my job, and they were impressed that a little ol' girl like me could wrestle a 1500lb horse! They wanted to see my PINK tools, and bright purple stock trailer back again! I will NOT change who I am for others, and what I like! They'll see past that once they see my dedication and eagerness to learn!!

atropine

Forum Captain
Okay listen!!! I am not getting this duffle bag to be a "Whacker" What ever the Hell that means!!!
I am a GIRL and this is what I like to do!!! I just did a search for duffle bags and this one popped up! And yes it say's EMS!!! Who cares! If someone judges me because my bag is PINK and has my name and EMS on it! Then maybe you need to get into another career!! This is WHO I AM, and guess what I am not changing it for anyone!!! If you dont like it, close your eyes!!

I am getting this duffel bag to put extra clothes, TAMPONS!! Unless you guys want to see them laying out everywhere! UNDERWEAR, and no I dont wear grannies. And anything else I feel like I will need on my 24 shift! I am not going to stuff it with my own personal AMBULANCE!!

Yeah I would like to see more of womens underwear laying around, not enough hot chicks in are department.

Sasha

Forum Chief

OK, listen... You posted this on a public forum, you can't get mad everytime you get responses you don't like, and for what it's worth, I read the thread twice and didn't see anything mean said about it. No one has criticized you for being pink ( and if they do they can get over it. I have pink shears and a pink O2 key.) Why would they need another career simply because they don't agree with you?

You need to learn in this field you will have people who don't agree with you, and you can't go off and tell them to get a new job because of it.

I have a $15 dollar backpack from Walmart that I carry all my "girly stuff" in, that is tampons, pads, midol, lipgloss, panties and bras, plus clipboard, a bajillion pens, advil, mini maglite, cell phone charger, a couple of things of tape that seem to hide in my pockets, laptop and whatever else I feel like lugging to work. I bought it last Saturday. I didn't start a thread to announce the purchase, I'm sorry you all missed out on this great information.

Congrats on your purchase, it's a cute bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.