Persistence and patience pays off.

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
The title is an oxymoron, but it's true.

Some of you may know or not know that I've been searching for a job in California for about a month. I'm getting back into EMS, I worked in the field for about 5 months in early 2007. Then I did a few other things, Animal Science/Law Enforcement (things I was interested in), and came to the conclusion that money isn't everything, but being happy with what I'm doing daily is. So that was it, EMS was where I needed to be, end of story.

I'm in the Central Valley and I searched high and low. I was getting nothing, a couple bites from some sketchy IFT companies in the L.A. area and the Bay area but that would require a decent commute and I wasn't going to do that for just any company. Plus it would take me away from my family. I would be traveling more than working almost, but as a friend said to me, you have to make the decision of how bad you want to work in EMS in order to make it a career, and that can require sacrifices. And

So after applying for a few local companies a month or so back, I ended up getting interviews at two local private companies that work together under one County wide umbrella (a day after each other none-the-less).

I created an EMS specific cover letter outlining my experiences, education, short term/long term career goals and overall determination and passion to get back into and succeed in the EMS field. I sent those along with my resume, certification copies and H-6 EVERYWHERE. Literally to 50+ companies, I kept organized in a spreadsheet by the dates I applied, along with the status of each application with when I followed up, etc. I stayed persistent, and I stayed patient without annoying or coming off too strong.

Well as of this morning, I successfully re-gained employment with an ALS/BLS company. I can't explain the relief and excitement I feel. I am truly lucky, haha. Shocking thing is I might have an additional ALS/BLS job offer here in my local area by the end of the week. Both companies encourage their employees going to Medic school and once I'm ready, they foot the bill and hook me up with a school schedule. So my dream basically came true. Working on a tight-knit smaller family oriented ALS company.

So don't give up, know what you want and own it.
Confidence is key, and like they say good things come to those who wait.

Or maybe I just got lucky... haha.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
This is wonderful! Congrats!

Thank you for the words of encouragement as well!

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats! Hope you do just as well in your other endeavors :)

OP
OP
M

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks guys.

Another thing, I would keep a word document/spreadsheet that shows all the places you've applied, the date you applied, whom you spoke with, and the HR/Operations Managers information. Stay on them, call when they say, or every week.

I even found employees from a few companies I applied for and spoke to them on Facebook to get an idea or understanding of the company so I knew what I was getting in to, and what to expect. Then I could use this information in an interview or when I spoke with them on the phone. It showed I was taking it seriously. Send e-mails to important people, don't be shy. What's the worst they can do? Tell you no? Don't pass the opportunity up. Don't go stalker status, but explain to them what's going on. Everyone I came in contact with actually cared and still keeps in touch with me to check on how I'm doing and what's going on.

The company I got hired at must hate me by now, but I went directly to the Owner and laid it out on the table. Turns out he loved my aggressive nature and admired my goals. He passed my information on to the Operations/HR Manager and I got an interview when they weren't even hiring, and here I am now.

It's frustrating, trust me, I know. I was unemployed with a wife and young son. Things were about to get really bad for us, and I was going to have to make that sacrifice, but it all paid off. Things can, and will always get better but sometimes you need to help push it all in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
Big ups, MDA!!

Glad to hear it.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I sent this URL to an aquaintance in need . Thanks.

;)..........

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
What did the man say about Inspiration and Perspiration?

OP
OP
M

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
Well, as of this afternoon, I was offered another job for a big company in my area running ALS. So I will get about full-time hours with one company, and part-time hours with the other company... as long as they are willing to play nice.

Formal orientation for both start on the same day, so I already have a major issue. We shall see how this plays out (hopefully in my favor).