Pepper Spray

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
As my workplace is now issuing Pepper Spray to some of the staff... does anyone have an EMS policy for care of a patient post-exposure to OC?

My concern isn't just for the cubject who was sprayed, but for the population of our office buildings... I'm actually concerned that we might need to evacuate a floor and/or shut down the HVAC system while venting the building.

I'm also somewhat concerned that if pepper spray is used, we could have an MCI real quick if sprayed in an office building.

Last edited by a moderator:

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Take it from someone who has been sprayed many times...... BABY SHAMPOO!

Don't waste money on fancy named wipes or sprays. Freash air for low level exposure....

Lots of water and BABY SHAMPOO if you catch a full face of it.

Did I mention baby shampoo?

Honsetly I have used it indoors a few times. A fan and an open door will usually clear the room fairly quickly. A little tickle in the throat and a few coughs are what most people experience if they aren't the ones being sprayed. Just have them go outside for a few minuites while the place vents. No biggie. :)

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
Does pepper spray make your mouth feel really hot like when eating a pepper? Pepper spray is just concentrated and purified capsaicin.. so it should.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Jon said:
As my workplace is now issuing Pepper Spray to some of the staff... does anyone have an EMS policy for care of a patient post-exposure to OC?

My concern isn't just for the cubject who was sprayed, but for the population of our office buildings... I'm actually concerned that we might need to evacuate a floor and/or shut down the HVAC system while venting the building.

I'm also somewhat concerned that if pepper spray is used, we could have an MCI real quick if sprayed in an office building.
Everyone I know hates the stuff. The local ER has had to evacuate and close down certain pods (self-contained ERs) when it's been used.

I've heard mixed reviews about the wipes.

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
MMiz said:
Everyone I know hates the stuff. The local ER has had to evacuate and close down certain pods (self-contained ERs) when it's been used.

I've heard mixed reviews about the wipes.
Matt... that is my concern.

We are probably going to get the wipes, because then we can say "we used this according to the directions."

RH3075

Forum Probie
I have just started working in a pretty busy urban EMS system. We have our share of violence. Some of our guys carry pepepr spray, but it is not really sanctioned by our rules. My take has always been I do not like to have any sort of weapons in the bus with patients or on scene. If there is a real threat of violence, I wait for PD to secure the scene, other wise I am staging off somewhere else. My dad, who is a retired cop, told me to always remember "when the cop shows up on the scene, even if there were no weapons present, there is a gun on scene now" Im a lover and a healer, not a fighter :)

RH