PEDI Slide Chart

rgodfrey

Forum Ride Along
We just purchased a new product called the PEDI Slide Chart and I was wondering if anyone has any input on these. We were told about them by a neighboring EMS who is replacing all their Broselow tapes with this new tool. They appear to be much easier and use-friendly than the broselow tapes but thought I would try and get some input from other sources.

reaper

Working Bum
Why change what works.

P.S. You only need to post in one topic, not all of them!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Why change what works.

I agree, I used to carry the slide PEDI med calculator (p.s. their not new, they have been out for several decades) until Broselow tape. The whole purpose of the tape is getting a better accurate weight/size predictor.

It's easy, accurate, and has more information than most will ever need. As well one can set up their pediatric kit for color coded to make things easier.

R/r 911

OP
OP
R

rgodfrey

Forum Ride Along
Change what works?

I guess we change what works when something works better. Horses were great, but cars work better. Ambulances are fast but helicopters are faster. Doing chest compressions at 5 to 1 works, but doing them 30 to 2 works better. Not trying to be a smart a**, but sometimes change is good!

OP
OP
R

rgodfrey

Forum Ride Along
Why change what works 2

The Pedi med calculator is not the same as the PEDI Slide Chart. This product has only been out for about 6 months and is based on the same information as the Broselow but is easier to use and you can still use the color coding. I'm not trying to sell these things but you can get more information at the website for them at www.actnt.com/PEDISlideChart.htm, then we can discuss the pros and cons. thanks for the replies.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Okay, explain how this is easier? You now have two separate things to do. Measure the child with a disposable tape measure, then look up the weight , etc.. and then slide that to the appropriate med, etc..

Broselow, place end of tape on feet and where the head lies, look at color open ped kit to that color, have right ETT, med. dosages, etc. Now, how hard was that?

Sorry, there is not much difference in the Pedi slide than any other slide/dial rule medication cheater. Except now, you have either purchase a "system" or individual devices, (plastic case to store in is $4.95).

Sorry, I can carry my Broselow in my side packet, & one in the pediatric bag, that is automatically color coded, no thinking, no stress... in other words EASY !

R/r 911

OP
OP
R

rgodfrey

Forum Ride Along
First off, the plastic sleeve that you mention costing $4.95 is for a repacement. You don't have to buy it extra, one comes with the slide chart. Plus you can buy one at a time, not in packs of 5 if you don't need that many. Measuring with disposable tapes is just one option. You can use any measuring device (e.g., tape measure, etc), so you don't have to actually use the disposable tapes if you prefer not too (Broselow is just based on measurements except you have to use it to measure with). PEDI Slide Chart also has a body type category that allows for the CDC recommended body type categorization. You don't have to clean the slide chart and it never comes into contact with the patient. The information is much easier to find, no rolling out the brosleow everytime you need something. It is pocket sized & very durable. The color coding is the same so that is not an issue. I guess we will agree to disagree on this. I'm not saying the broselow isn't useful, just that in my humble opinion, the PEDI Slide Chart is easier and more effective.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I personally never used to the PEDI slide chart. It looks like it would be a handy little item... as long as you have an accurate pt weight. In the absence of that, measuring body length with the Broselow will work with me.

With respect

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It appears to me that you've spent the last few days spamming EMS forums with information on the product. I find it hard to believe that you have no connection to the product, which is clearly in violation of our stringent advertising guidelines. Why not just come out and share your connection to the product, however minimal it may be?

Where are you located?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
First off, the plastic sleeve that you mention costing $4.95 is for a repacement. You don't have to buy it extra, one comes with the slide chart. Plus you can buy one at a time, not in packs of 5 if you don't need that many. Measuring with disposable tapes is just one option. You can use any measuring device (e.g., tape measure, etc), so you don't have to actually use the disposable tapes if you prefer not too (Broselow is just based on measurements except you have to use it to measure with). PEDI Slide Chart also has a body type category that allows for the CDC recommended body type categorization. You don't have to clean the slide chart and it never comes into contact with the patient. The information is much easier to find, no rolling out the brosleow everytime you need something. It is pocket sized & very durable. The color coding is the same so that is not an issue. I guess we will agree to disagree on this. I'm not saying the broselow isn't useful, just that in my humble opinion, the PEDI Slide Chart is easier and more effective.

Market will see if it will last or not. Personally, you sound much more like a rep more than one that has actually utilized such devices in a clinical setting, since you have posted nothing more than this on most of the forums. Hint.. many of us are on other forums under different names...

R/r 911.

Last edited by a moderator:

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
It appears to me that you've spent the last few days spamming EMS forums with information on the product. I find it hard to believe that you have no connection to the product, which is clearly in violation of our stringent advertising guidelines. Why not just come out and share your connection to the product, however minimal it may be?

Where are you located?

Miz is right, a simple google search will reveal that this guy has done the same thing on at least four other forums in the last few days. Spamming about a new product that you have no affiliation with??? Why?? This poster doesn't warrant any further discussion.