ped overdose

mofiremedic

Forum Probie
i posted this in the wrong forum origionally

about two months ago i ran a pediatric overdose on an approx 6 y/o male. this was my first ped overdose and also the first time i have ever requested CISD in the 6 years i have been in EMS.
we were called to a section 8 apartment complex on a pediatric respiratory distress. upon arrival we found the pt sitting on the couch. pt appeared very lethargic, bp was 96/p, RR 36/min and very shallow, pulse of 140, pupils were reactive but slow.
pt's mother stated that she gave her son a full dose of her ambien(10mg) because he was hyper @ 2300 hrs, even though she only takes half the dose because it "just wipes her out if she takes the full dose". to make a long story short, the kid started to go into respiratory failure, we ran him hot to the hospital and the police arrested the mom for distribution of a controlled substance to a minor and felony child endangerment.
this is the one call that almost ended my career as i wanted to bash the pt's moms face in(but what a glorious end of a career it would have been ).
So heres the million dollar question what treatment regimen would you follow on this pt and why???

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
mofiremedic said:
So heres the million dollar question what treatment regimen would you follow on this pt and why???

My treatment would be bashing the mom's face in and making sure the child would never be left with her again.

Kudos on your self control.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Yeah, definitely would had felt like it, but unfortunately she will just have another.
Far as handling the case it is basically handled like any other overdose. Establishing an patent airway, with intubation, I.V.fluid bolus (ped 10ml/kg), drop a gastric tube (oral or NG) and administer some activiated charcoal through this, if this occured within a reasonable time period. ECG monitoring and nuero checks.
Since this was ambien a sedative hypnotic, it has some similar properties as valium. Some might consider Narcan, although I doubt it would be effective, since it is not an opiod derritive; although it might not hurt.. weirder things has happen with Narcan.

Maintain supportive care.. and closley monitor. Chances are the child will be closely monitored and hopefully, will not have to dialyzed.

Be safe,
R/R 911

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mofiremedic

mofiremedic

Forum Probie
i forgot to put my tx and outcome of the pt.

as far as tx, IV, O2 via NRB (pt accepted before he went unresponsive), vitals, ekg, BVM prepared (just in case), and treated with lots of diesel!!!!!!! unfrotunately we dont carry charcoal since we are @ the most 10-15 min out from the hospital. at least thats the excuse the supervisors give!!!

outcome: ped transferred to childrens mercy and spent a day in icu then transferred to the floor for 24 hrs. pt released to child protective services and i believe grandma (who was not a section 8 druggie)was granted custody. Mom is out and awaiting trial and is to have 0 contact with the pt.

i can only hope that his mom becomes another prisioners wife in an all female prision!!!!!!!!!