Pears/pals/acls

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
Morning all!

I am an EMT-B however I am want to learn more about ACLS and such. Would it be useful for me to take an PEARS/PALS/ACLS course? I know I can't use most of the material that I learn in practice. I am also working as the health center manager at a camp this summer, I was thinking these could be useful in assisting the dr and nurse. Thanks for the thoughts!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
This has been discussed frequently. While we never pooh pooh additional education, in most cases the merit badge classes like ACLS and PALS are useless to EMTs based on the lack of basic supporting education. These classes aren't really designed to teach any theory, they're simply "flap A into slot b" classes that teach a systematic response to specific scenarios. Since you can not practice any of these skills, it's usually a waste of time.

Take A&P instead. :)

OP
OP
J

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
I guess I should also mention that I am an nursing student, so I will be doing some of this stuff later. I am taking A&P right now, and it is kicking my butt! So your saying that I would be better off doing a CE lecture on the topic rather than take the AHA course?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I believe it's a waste of time to take these classes at this point in your EMS training. But, that is my opinion and YMMV.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Take the alphabet soup classes when they are required and not before. I learned very little of any value in ACLS, PALS, and PHTLS. Continue your studies in anatomy and physiology, and learn why each intervention is recommended.

OP
OP
J

jpregulman

Forum Crew Member
That sounds good. I think I am going to go to a few CE lectures and see what I can learn from them. I was not looking forward to paying the price of the AHA courses. Thanks!!!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I agree with other people; it's a waste of time and money to take at this point.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
That sounds good. I think I am going to go to a few CE lectures and see what I can learn from them. I was not looking forward to paying the price of the AHA courses. Thanks!!!

While the class might not be of too much benefit, the PHTLS book is an interesting read with some useful information for everyone I feel. I bought my book used for a very reasonable amount.