Pay decrease?

Jzilla

Forum Ride Along
I am making the plunge to join the EMS community however I am a little concerned about the financials of day-to-day life for my family (wife and 2 kids, 2yo & 5yo) and myself. I currently make about $50k/yr and I am the sole provider for my family. My wife will be finishing her degree very shortly and is expecting to make around $20k/yr starting. The local private companies pay EMTs about $10/hr but seem to always be hiring, I would assume there is overtime there but I don't want to rely on something that isn't a guaranty. Locally (S-SE Wisconsin) we also have 2 full time EMT crews at the Fire departments and 2 other full time city run rescue squads.

Has anyone else taken a pay cut like this, any suggestions to ease my nerves?

City run or private companies, benefits/experience gained/moral?

I was thinking of at least 1 year experience before joining the medic program, should I do it sooner? I have been working full time and going to school full time for years so that isn't really a concern.

My wife is backing me on this 100% and it has been a dream of mine for a long time to become a Paramedic. I am sooooooooooo amped! The income is the only thing that is freaking me out.

Thanks for your time!

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Wait until you get laid off first, then go into EMS. :p

At $10 an hour, you're rarely ever going to be home just to make half as much money.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

Jzilla

Forum Ride Along
Wait until you get laid off first, then go into EMS. :p

At $10 an hour, you're rarely ever going to be home just to make half as much money.

LOL! Thought about it, but it would never happen. I am the head of my department and can fill in 95% of the positions in our facility. I run our training programs, improvement activities, customer relations, and everything in between. Frankly the only way to lose my job would be to call my direct supervisors (the owners) some naughty words. I am not looking to burn my bridges, they have given me great opportunities and experiences. It's just not what I was meant to do.

nocoderob

Forum Crew Member
Only you can decide whats best for your family. I wouldn't take that kind of hit to be an EMT. Maybe you can work PT, get some experience, and see if its for you.

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
Only you can decide whats best for your family. I wouldn't take that kind of hit to be an EMT. Maybe you can work PT, get some experience, and see if its for you.

x2

You don't want to jump into it if you've got a family to support. Work PT, or volunteer to get a feeling for it, and if you like it, maybe go for your medic and then take the hit, you can make more as a medic, and support a family on the pay.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
If you really have the EMS bug might I suggest you get your basic then volunteer for a few years. EMS is great but as others have said you do have a family to think about. Volunteering will give you a foot in the door and a taste of what you'll be in for without having to give up your bread and butter.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
You have more than yourself to think about, kids should be top on your list of priorities. Nuf said?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I would go to Paramedic school since it would probably be easier to get a job (unless you're in California) and slightly higher pay. I wouldn't expect to make more than $35k if you're lucky. Probably fonna be more around mid $20k to $30k even as a Paramedic.

Like someone else suggested, maybe do it part time on your says off or volunteer here and there to say you did it/get it outta your system. Hard to get jobs, pay is low at most places compared to other jobs.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I wouldn't expect to make more than $35k if you're lucky. Probably fonna be more around mid $20k to $30k even as a Paramedic.

What? My base salary as a EMT-I is ~28k + benefits, not including OT. Medic is ~43k plus a good benefits package and pulling 2-3 OT shifts a month it gets closer to 55k

Go to medic school. Experience is nice but seeing as you have managerial experience as well as life experience it wont be that difficult for you. That's my opinion, some on here will argue tooth and nail against what I just said. Volunteer as an EMT and keep your job you have while you go through medic school.

Like others said, you have to consider your family as well. A medic salary plus your wife's salary, while not exactly living large, will be plenty if you are supporting your family well now along with your wife's schooling.

medicman14

Forum Crew Member
I have been a career paramedic for a long time. I've had the privilege of a job I mostly love that has also fed my family and funded my mortgage. While I definitely promote checking it out, for real, before jumping permanently, if it's for you - as it is for many of us - it is a great career.
On the money note, I haven't made less than 50k a year as a paramedic in well over a decade - so it is possible.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Sorry, I guess my numbers are off compared to most other places. I assumed the paramedics I work with are paid the highest compare to other places since it's the bay area, but I guess they are paid lower than some of you guys, lol.

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
Depends who you work for. The commercial service here pays starting medics $12/hr. There are also towns that hire medics with 2-3 years experience at $58k salary.

EMS isn't bad if you start at 18 and go after your medic cert. By the time your 26 your making decent cash. But you need that 5+ years on the job first which makes it nearly impossible to break into when you have a family.

Doczilla

Forum Captain
Go straight to paramedic school. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.

After that, look for some type of municipality. County or city. Avoid private organizations like the plague, as they will usually skimp on pay and benefits and pass the savings onto themselves.

If youre not currently doing so, start working out with a focus on cardio>strength. This will allow you to be a good candidate for a F.D when you get your medic ticket. Being a paramedic will usually get you into an ALS fire department, and they will be willing to send you to fire school after they hire you if the need if great.

As hard as it is to admit, TRUE third-service EMS agencies ( as in being a legitimate tier of government funded public safety) are very few and far between, so fire departments which typically have assimilated the EMS service are the best bet for pay and benefits.

However, if you can find a legitimate municipal EMS agency, then go for that. I used to work for one before the army and it was amazing.

charlie37

Forum Ride Along
Charlie

Patience is key. If you aspire to make a reasonable income, your have to put in the time :) Even a PT job could put you where you would like to be financially. Only you can make it happen!

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
If youre not currently doing so, start working out with a focus on cardio>strength. This will allow you to be a good candidate for a F.D when you get your medic ticket. Being a paramedic will usually get you into an ALS fire department, and they will be willing to send you to fire school after they hire you if the need if great.

As hard as it is to admit, TRUE third-service EMS agencies ( as in being a legitimate tier of government funded public safety) are very few and far between, so fire departments which typically have assimilated the EMS service are the best bet for pay and benefits.

For the money, you can't beat fire service based EMS. Most places around me will pay duel role fire medics $48k in academy, and I know at least one person who makes $80k+ after just a few years due to overtime.

This, however, depends greatly on where you live. Virginia, Maryland and California (off the top of my head) all have several well paying ALS fire departments.

OP
OP
J

Jzilla

Forum Ride Along
For the money, you can't beat fire service based EMS. Most places around me will pay duel role fire medics $48k in academy, and I know at least one person who makes $80k+ after just a few years due to overtime.

This, however, depends greatly on where you live. Virginia, Maryland and California (off the top of my head) all have several well paying ALS fire departments.

You mean they pay them while they are attending the academy? :blink:

I actually made up my mind this morning to try getting work with the local fire service as an EMT to gain some exposure to both fields and see if a dual role would be one that suits me. I know people in both but they obviously dump biased opinions on me. :p

Thanks for all the input everyone!

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
You mean they pay them while they are attending the academy? :blink:

Yes. I don't know about where you're from, but in the NYC/Philly/Baltimore/DC area all the large departments will hire you, then send you through their fire academy (and pay you while they do it). This means they can hire anyone, from people who have never seen a fire engine before to people with ten years emergency experience. Every major city nationwide (except Florida...) does this, if I remember correctly. Some will also then pay you to go to paramedic school afterwards.

Smaller departments, though, usually find it cheaper to hire people who are pre-certified.

If I were in your shoes I'd try and find a place that will send you to an academy. It's easier and cheaper for you.