Patient Care Reports

How do you complete your patient care reports?

• Using a computer and wireless connection

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Using a computer and wired connection

• Using a computer and printing them out

• Using a computer and filing them electronically

• Using a PDA

• Using pen and paper

• What reports?

• Total voters

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by SCEMT-B@Mar 7 2005, 10:34 PM
SC uses a 3-part carbonless form, but our company has switched to computers so now we're printing them.
are you printing on the forms, or genertating 2 or 3 single copies? Are they the same as the state form, or set up differently?

Jon

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
In Sask. there are a few different ways. Each service to their own I guess. All places I have been , are pen and the PCR form. The bigger city has little laptops which you fill out on then print them out at the hospital.

EMICT1

Forum Ride Along
Here in KS every service is different. The Private service I work for still uses a carbonless paper report. While, Sedgwick county the primary 911 provider for this area does theirs on Computer and have been experementing with the MEDUSA tablet system. All of the techs I have talked to hate the tablets. They complain of reports that have been completed and just vanish into some electronic abbys. I personally like the paper. I always know where it is and dont have to work about technical difficulties.

BloodNGlory02

Forum Crew Member
Wisconsin has its own run report. 3 layers. White, yellow, pink. We need a sig. from an RN and the pink copy stays at the ED. We take the yellow and white home.
We just purchased a computer system, and theres heavy talk of everything going to computers this year. Then again, there was heavy talk of getting a new moniter, last summer.

Thats not true of the whole state. I know of several depts who dont use the state report. They make their own based on the state report. We DONT need anyone to sign ours- to us thats pointless- we dont sign the pt's hospital chart so why should the hospital sign ours? We leave the white with the hospital since thats the main file. I doubt any small community around me is using computers anytime soon. Estimated start up cost was around $150,000. I dont see the computer reports being any quicker or easier. There are some people who cant type to save their life. Are they ever going to want to "write the narrative" if it takes them 25 minutes to type it out? of course not. someone else is always going to be doing it to get it done faster. I dont like the idea of computer reports at all.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
One of my past security departments did all of their reports, including medical reports, by hand. The next day our admin asst typed them all in.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by BloodNGlory02@Mar 24 2005, 12:43 AM
We DONT need anyone to sign ours- to us thats pointless- we dont sign the pt's hospital chart so why should the hospital sign ours?
Here the point is that it proves we transferred care properly. Otherwise, in theory, we could just dump someone at the door and walk away and say that we delivered them to the hospital. On our PCRs it signifies the hospital's acceptance of our transfer of care and ends our obligation to care for the patient.

SCEMT-B

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by Summit@Feb 22 2005, 03:02 PM
Can't... wait... for... COMPUTERS!
Better hope your dept/company gets the good ones. Ours didn't <_< and our computers go down prolly once a week and then we have to use paper reports til they're fixed 2 weeks later :blink:

Ray1129

Forum Crew Member
MD utilizes what they call EMAIS. It's all on the web. We access it with our provider numbers and passwords and when we're done, we print out what we just did and send copies to everyone who needs them. Then the call is logged under your name so that if you ever need to go back to it for some odd reason, it's there to look at. Pain is if the internet is down or if the site crashes....

-Ray

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
What program are out there... for the VOL...... the city near us has great laptops.. heck then don't need to call dispatch if they don't want to...
one of the Vol RS near us is screaming that there somputer base pre hospital takes so long .. and is not very friendly.... I havn't seen much on the web.. but then again I may be looking in the wrong place... we are small.. 2 medic truck .. third coming soon... we run about 850 900 calls per year and the search is on.. as we will need to go to computer reports in the coming year....

any help gets a big TY

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
GVRS672,

You may want to check with your state EMS office and see what they recommend. Sometimes they have specific requirements for the programs. Also check with the hospital you transport to and see if they are set up to receive computer reports.

If all else fails, you could probably write a program in Microsoft Access or something similar that would meet all of your needs.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
In PA, there is a group in the Pittsburg area that puts out "EMMA" and that meets the state regs. Also, I've heard of "Code 3" as another program.

In my county, everyone does computer reports in the station after returing to quarters. Some squads are talking of running EMMA on a palmtop PC or MDC, as we upgrade units, as the county MDT's are getting old and breaking, with no replacement in sight.

Hope that helps a little.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
New HIPAA regulations state that we will no longer be able to use our Code 3 Software to send PCRs to our regional office by way of the internet. We however may place them into the C3S and save that month to a disc, or a series of discs and mail them to the directors. :angry: I'm really starting to 'strongly dislike' HIPAA.

rescuecpt

Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Apr 8 2005, 01:49 PM
New HIPAA regulations state that we will no longer be able to use our Code 3 Software to send PCRs to our regional office by way of the internet. We however may place them into the C3S and save that month to a disc, or a series of discs and mail them to the directors. :angry: I'm really starting to 'strongly dislike' HIPAA.
Just "starting"???

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Apr 8 2005, 01:49 PM
At my one squad - 1000 or so runs a year, we download EMMA to floppy and mail to county on about a monthly basis.

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by rescuecpt+Apr 8 2005, 01:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ Apr 8 2005, 01:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Apr 8 2005, 01:49 PM
Just "starting"??? [/b][/quote]
I watched the HIPAA Video for .5 CEUs, and thats what the video said. So I called the regional lady (she's a real bit....um nevermind) and she confirmed.

rescuecpt

Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Apr 8 2005, 11:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Apr 8 2005, 11:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Apr 8 2005, 01:58 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR
@Apr 8 2005, 01:49 PM
New HIPAA regulations state that we will no longer be able to use our Code 3 Software to send PCRs to our regional office by way of the internet. We however may place them into the C3S and save that month to a disc, or a series of discs and mail them to the directors.  :angry:  I'm really starting to 'strongly dislike' HIPAA.

Just "starting"???
I watched the HIPAA Video for .5 CEUs, and thats what the video said. So I called the regional lady (she's a real bit....um nevermind) and she confirmed. [/b][/quote]
I meant you're just starting to dislike HIPPA? I started disliking it from day... 2.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by rescuecpt+Apr 9 2005, 11:14 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ Apr 9 2005, 11:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Apr 8 2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Apr 8 2005, 01:58 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR
@Apr 8 2005, 01:49 PM
New HIPAA regulations state that we will no longer be able to use our Code 3 Software to send PCRs to our regional office by way of the internet. We however may place them into the C3S and save that month to a disc, or a series of discs and mail them to the directors.  :angry:  I'm really starting to 'strongly dislike' HIPAA.

Just "starting"???

I watched the HIPAA Video for .5 CEUs, and thats what the video said. So I called the regional lady (she's a real bit....um nevermind) and she confirmed.
I meant you're just starting to dislike HIPPA? I started disliking it from day... 2. [/b][/quote]
I started to dislike it when we had to go back to having patients sign forms again. HIPAA comes in a four page booklet for them to sign, whereas it now requires seperate privacy policies. These differ with types of services. Theres a catch. We have three ambulance in the station. One is Paid ALS, One is Municipal BLS, One is Fire/BLS. Each is owned by different people, each has it's own policy; and they are all together. So they have to sign the HIPAA Act, the Privacy Act, the Billing form (has to be signed by them while in the ambulance, can't be handled by the hospital anymore - even though they do our billing - all b/c of privacy) and they have to sign another form saying that we performed up to their expectations (total bull $hit), it's for QA. Then we have to get a form signed for equipment used, that is signed by the ER unit Clerk, so we can bill the patient for disposable supplies. :blink: Plus we have to take HIPAA and Privacy Policy Update Classes every six months.

possum

Forum Crew Member
In Virginia we still do the paper work my hand. Then we have to put the PPCR call sheet in to the computer. Then we email to the state office.

possum

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
The next county over uses laptops, then at the end of the shift they are downloaded and printed. The providers in my county do them by hand.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I only need a few more posts to make 300. Don't mind me, I'll just do it from the corner.