patient assessment

Smooth

Forum Probie
i got a big test on this in a couple of days.
can someone give me a few pointers?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Run through the sequence like it's on the paper, not like you would do in real life.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Run through the sequence like it's on the paper, not like you would do in real life.

Agreed, but I would add something.

If, for some reason, a big change occurs (or even a small one), re-check your ABCs, THEN go back to where you were on the paper. For example, DON'T continue with your SAMPLE/OPQRST because that's where you are if the "patient" recently started breathing differently. ONLY continue with the steps if the ABCs are controlled.

Basically, follow the sheets UNTIL something happens that says you should deviate.

OP
OP
Smooth

Smooth

Forum Probie
no it's a 50 question mutiple choice test. what could be some possible questions?

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
no it's a 50 question mutiple choice test. what could be some possible questions?

Here's an algorithm that I have used (successfully), since high school, whenever I'm in a pinch.

ABBA-CA-DABBA

Your mileage may vary *disclaimer*

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Here's an algorithm that I have used (successfully), since high school, whenever I'm in a pinch.

ABBA-CA-DABBA

Your mileage may vary *disclaimer*

Caveat emptor.... A teacher in high school had told us if we were ever in a bind on a multiple choice test, to take our last 4 fingers on one hand and bang them on the table as hard as we could, the finger that hurt the most being the answer. (pointer finger being A, middle finger being C and so on)

I'm sure this is exactly the type of advice the OP was seeking:p

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
The written test for patient assessment was easier than the practical one for me....the practical one could be a little tricky if you have a tester who puts some effort into making it difficult and throws some monkey wrenches into the assessment instead of letting u just run down the checklist robotically. The ones who tested me did exactly that a few times and fortunately I caught it.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Caveat emptor.... A teacher in high school had told us if we were ever in a bind on a multiple choice test, to take our last 4 fingers on one hand and bang them on the table as hard as we could, the finger that hurt the most being the answer. (pointer finger being A, middle finger being C and so on)

I'm sure this is exactly the type of advice the OP was seeking:p

During my ILS class the instructor was joking about how during the state fire test he would have gotten better answers by eliminating two and flipping a penny for the last two choices. Well our final day rolls around and we are taking the written when we all hear what sounds like a small object being dropped on the table. It was one of the guys in the back of the room flipping a penny and he had missed catching it an it landed on the table. He says he only did that for a few questions........and he did pass somehow.