Patch Work EMR

Patch Adams

Forum Probie
Hi I an old EMT who is returning to the field now looking for working work in the Oil Patch in BC, AB, or SK depending on the employer. I been seeing lot of different companies but hard to know who would be a good one. Anyone have some suggestions where to start??

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Industrial Paramedic Services (IPS), HSE and Canadian Industrial Paramedics (CIP) are good companies with lots of contracts.

OP
OP
Patch Adams

Patch Adams

Forum Probie
Thanks

Thanks Tim, I seen the web sites not yet applied but will soon.

Patch...

OP
OP
Patch Adams

Patch Adams

Forum Probie
Right on, never got to that site yet thanks again

Patch

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm still trying to decide the best way to not spend a ton of money on the reciprocity process and fail the ACP exam. Maybe after CCEMT-P.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I'm trying to convince my wife to let us move to Canada!

OP
OP
Patch Adams

Patch Adams

Forum Probie
Hi Robb,
Not sure where your coming from? In our neck of the woods, and EMR-CPR/AED with H2S alive and PST and wimis is about all you need to get going. Oil patch is busy and pays more if you don't mind the long hours and isolation.. Camp life is ok, food is great.

Patch

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Hi Robb,
Not sure where your coming from? In our neck of the woods, and EMR-CPR/AED with H2S alive and PST and wimis is about all you need to get going. Oil patch is busy and pays more if you don't mind the long hours and isolation.. Camp life is ok, food is great.

Patch

I'm a Paramedic in Nevada, so I'd be having to try to go from a U.S. cert to a Canadian one. Not impossible but definitely not as easy as going state to state. Seems like H2S is primarily a Canadian class, not sure if there's a U.S. equivalent.

OP
OP
Patch Adams

Patch Adams

Forum Probie
I'm a Paramedic in Nevada, so I'd be having to try to go from a U.S. cert to a Canadian one. Not impossible but definitely not as easy as going state to state. Seems like H2S is primarily a Canadian class, not sure if there's a U.S. equivalent.

Ok, H2S Alive is a Oil patch course to teach about the dangers of H2S Gas, and it is a standard you must take to work in the oil patch only. Same with the PST (petroleum Safety Training) it is regional and industry specific training. The Oil Patch is where the money is. Working for BC Ambulance is not the route to go if you want to make money. Health & Safety is big business in the Oil patch and lots of companies and room to grow. You can do the PST online, and Whimis testing. H2S is a one day course in using Scott packs and rescue and Gas safety training. about $200.00.

And you might need to get a 1 day Occupational First Aid level 1 Course or equivalent as well and TDG (Transportation of Dangerous Goods) Class 4 license (what ever you use in the US to drive a ambulance or bus would be nice to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Ok, H2S Alive is a Oil patch course to teach about the dangers of H2S Gas, and it is a standard you must take to work in the oil patch only. Same with the PST (petroleum Safety Training) it is regional and industry specific training. The Oil Patch is where the money is. Working for BC Ambulance is not the route to go if you want to make money. Health & Safety is big business in the Oil patch and lots of companies and room to grow. You can do the PST online, and Whimis testing. H2S is a one day course in using Scott packs and rescue and Gas safety training. about $200.00.

And you might need to get a 1 day Occupational First Aid level 1 Course or equivalent as well and TDG (Transportation of Dangerous Goods) Class 4 license (what ever you use in the US to drive a ambulance or bus would be nice to.

All good information, thanks!

If I went through the process it would be to work on an industrial site not for an ambulance agency. Been looking here in the U.S. as well just seems like y'all get paid much better up there.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
All good information, thanks!

If I went through the process it would be to work on an industrial site not for an ambulance agency. Been looking here in the U.S. as well just seems like y'all get paid much better up there.

Once you get licensed and work authorization, I can hook you up.