Pat Downs

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
Rather than public buildings, I should have said public accommodations. That's how it's listed here in NC, malls and theaters are called public accommodations and CCW is not permitted.

Your information is not correct. In NC the only way you are legally prohibited from carrying in a mall or theater etc is if the establishment posts a sign that meets specific criteria as spelled out by NC state law. THEN its illegal to carry there. No sign= Carry is ok.

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
People's responses crack me up here.

My simple solution... if I have some reason to believe that I should need to pat you down.. I word it like this:

"Sir/Ma'am, Im going to pat you down before I put you in my ambulance, for my safety and yours, ok? Please place your hands on the back of your head, interlace your fingers/ Place your hands behind your back and clasp your hands like you're praying. Is there anything I need to know about on you? guns/knives/weapons/drugs/anything sharp thats going to poke me when I touch you?"

If they decline, then I tell them to stay where they are at, keep their hands visible and await law enforcements arrival on scene. I have yet to have anyone decline. Its all in how you word things.

I asked permission, and they consented. Now, I did so in a way that most people don't realize that they consented for the search, but I am legally covered because I did ask and they consented.

If someone gives me permission, then I can do it without any concerns of liability, battery, or any of those other terms that people here throw around with out really understanding the intent behind the laws.