Paramedics plus June 2014

Angel

Paramedic
Hey all,
I recently applied as a medic to paramedics plus and was curious if anyone has heard anything or has info on hiring classes/dates.
I swear the opening was just a few days if not hours!

OP
OP
Angel

Angel

Paramedic
The 7th. I happened to run into a guy who worked there and told me to apply and I did right after talking to him then when I got home later the opening disappeared from their page.

Anyway, currently there is a wait list with no scheduled academy. There MIGHT possibly one later this year but its doubtful. Most likely 2015. The list for medics is shorter than EMTs. The hard part is just getting an app in though.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I wonder how many people noticed. I saw the opening, but did not apply. I frequently check their website because of their newsletters. I've applied, like, nine times I think. I've applied so many times that I kinda dislike the company now. I've tried calling the guy everyone recommends calling several dozens of times, but have never been successful getting a hold of him by phone.The last time I applied, I sent an e-mail, and I got a reply back saying they were doing interviews for Patient Plus, and to call before a deadline. I received the e-mail 3-4 hours before that deadline, and I read it several hours after the deadline. First, I didn't like that I received the e-mail so late, and then I was also very torn with pursuing it still or not because I have already made the mistake of switching to a company's IFT division hoping to get on their 911 division just to be stuck in their IFT division. I think Paramedics Plus for me is hopeless to continue pursuing; I am not Paramedics Plus material.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Angel

Angel

Paramedic
From what I'm seein they just don't hire that often which is kind of a good thing because people obviously like their spots. The guy I spoke with loved it there and his medic too. Idk, just bad timing. This was the second time I saw an opening. The first being when they came to alameda county. If your goal is 911 I for sure wouldn't apply to their IFT just because doing the transfer up is just a head ache. If you're in medic school try to hold it out until you're done then almost all medic jobs are strictly 911.

I applied to one job under the same guise of moving up to 911 within a month and that never happened. Had I waited until I got my medic I would've been sent straight to a 911 unit so I understand your frustration. For EMTs it's difficult if not impossible to get a 911 gig, the EMTs who have that spot don't want to give it up because their so few and far between.
Did you apply to AMR coco when it was open?
AMR is probably the only place (some places) where it's directly to 911.

Hang in there

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
It's a big county and I'm sure there is still a ton of turnover. There is a solid base that has a lot of seniority in that County but I know a ton of people that have come and gone since P+ took over ALCO.

When I worked for AMR there (4 1/2 years) there was a point where we had new hire academies every month.

From what I hear it's not too hard to get a Medic job with P+ these days. As far as people liking it? I'd say the vast majority of people who used to work for AMR (people that I know anyway) and made the transition hate P+ if my facebook is any indication lol.

With that said, it's been a few years now and there are a ton of new people who have no comparison to how it used to be; so they might like P+ a lot. Especially if it is their first EMS job.

Either way, it's a great county to get experience in. I loved working there. They have an amazing core group of people there. I miss working in ALCO a lot. No way I could have done it forever though. Good luck! Oakland is another beast, especially if you're from different parts of the Bay Area. Keep an open mind and try to understand the big picture and not be judgmental.

gclol

Forum Crew Member
what beachmedic says sums it up. its a good job if you just show up on time and do your job, keep your head low and don't stick out to management and you will be fine. They are in full budget mode so they are cutting alot of things, they are cheap and will do anything to save money. The people that were in Patients Plus worked out for them, we all end up getting what we wanted and that was to work als so it wasn't all bad that the IFT didn't work out but they gave up to easily on it and blew the chances of getting steady income.