Paramedic Written

Chuckles

Forum Crew Member
OK so I passed mu NREMT Paramedic practicals Friday. I am now going to be taking my written Wensday any advice?

18G

Paramedic
What was your impression of the practicals? Were they pretty straight forward? Easy or hard?

OP
OP
C

Chuckles

Forum Crew Member
The practicals were easier then I thought they would be. Simple long boarding for ramdon basic. Cardiology for my dynamic I got VF, Asytole, back to VF, and then sinus brady with a pluse. Same with the static I believe I got A Flutter, Vfib, Vtach with a pulse. Iv and IO were stright foward for medication administration I had to give Epi for cardiac arrest. For the IO I was asked how much fluid I would give a 8 month old that weighed 20 pounds. Trauma was easy as hell do your basic trama assesment load and go do iv and monitor on way in to hospital verbailize that.

Oral stations were also easy as hell had a 8 year old asmthma attack and a MI for oral A and B. Airway station was stight foward and easy.

Plus four of the practors I already knew so it made things a lot easier.

reaper

Working Bum
That's good to hear. But, you are not allowed to talk about any of the testing. You can get in a lot of trouble for that!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
The written is well, written, in a way that it will try to test you to the limits of your knowledge, so if done right, you will feel you failed, and failed horribly. Per the NREMT, everyone gets about 50% wrong and 50% right on their test.

I felt like I failed when I took mine 2 weeks ago. I was not a happy camper for the next day waiting on reults, but alas, I passed. Just know your material, and start with airway, and you'll be fine.

Theoretically I guess the written should be the harder of the two because aside from the oral stations, you just have to regurgitate the steps on the paper... but I myself freaked out more for the practical skills. For static and dynamic cardio-- You're already ACLS certifies, so you know you should be fine on them barring a stupid mistake (Like calling a 1st deg block a 2nd type II... no comment)

The oral stations seem to be where everyone freaks out about failing the most. Just walk through the call verbalizing EVERYTHING. Ask about the weather conditions. Ask about how the house is set up. Explain every little detail of a call (within the time limit) and you'll be fine.

SMEMT

Forum Ride Along
I just took my written this past thursday.... All I can say is that was the most unique and difficult exam I have ever taken. I was terrified because it has been a little over a year since I have been out of class and I had heard that the pass rate is extremely low the longer you wait to test. But, the good news is I passed! Next step are the practicals!