Paramedic training in NZ

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Before anyone gets excited over the rates of pay posted.

36,550.00 NZD = 21,117.42 USD
55,000.00 NZD = 31,790.11 USD
61,000.00 NZD = 35,243.01 USD

New Zealand Dollars United States Dollars
1 NZD = 0.578002 USD 1 USD = 1.73010 NZD

Last edited by a moderator:

wehttam

Forum Probie
Before anyone gets excited over the rates of pay posted.

36,550.00 NZD = 21,117.42 USD
55,000.00 NZD = 31,790.11 USD
61,000.00 NZD = 35,243.01 USD

New Zealand Dollars United States Dollars
1 NZD = 0.578002 USD 1 USD = 1.73010 NZD

first of all dont see why u guys are always converting US to other currencies like that u have to take into consideration the cost of living in that particular country before u make this big jump to say oh there money is less than ours.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
We have to convert it so we understand it. Why do you take offense to us putting it in terms for us to comprehend?

The average person on here would have seen the figures posted and never thought not to convert it and then there would of been talk about how much they pay in New Zealand when actually it is not better than here.

In addition, I am familiar with the cost of living there and can tell you it is higher than here in the US. Enjoynz can give you some comparisons as well as Google if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
The average American doesn't know where New Zealand is or thinks we are apart of Australia....but hey, we can live with that!;)
Cost of living is darer than America...but that's a cost I'm willing to pay for living in this beautiful country!

Here are a couple of links if you are interested:
http://www.workingin-newzealand.com/info/692
http://www.mercer.com/summary.htm?idContent=1314425

It would be very hard for you to get into one of the ambulance services here, if you were thinking about the move.
You have to get a work permit (Which is usually for 6 months at a time), probably not be able to practice at your skill level, until you prove yourself
(I think a medic's would have to go back to school!), and we drive on the other side of the road....would work well for you on an emergency call! lol...;).

But hey if you were only hours away from a beach and the same away from a ski field, the Forrest or the City.
Had countryside like this, and heaps of friendly people who made you feel welcome,
(For the most part, the role of a person in EMS here, is looked on with respect from the public) and (not to forget) 300 million sheep...why not!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand

Of course if you were thinking about a holiday...that Exchange Rate makes it a cheap holiday...don't forget to call in and see me for a coffee,beer,wine and/or meal!:)

Cheers Enjoynz

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
The average American would need to use their entire years vacation allowance to visit NZ. I have been meaning to visit my sister in Whangarei for several years now, but the logistics are too time-consuming. We normally just meet up halfway in Blighty over the Christmas / New Year period.

EMS aside, I looked at the nursing scope of practice and and benefits over there, and it seems like it is years behind the rest of the developed world unfortunately.

Beautiful country though.

OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Sorry, I have to disagree with you about the nursing training in New Zealand!
We are up there along with most European Countries both for Doctors and Nurses...
In fact we lose a lot of our young Doctors and Nurses to oversea's countries including America, so they can pay off their student loans!!!:sad:
Being a country within the British Commonwealth most of our medical practices come from England, so to say our system is lacking, is also to say the English system is lacking???
I do not know what level the American Nursing comes under...I know our Ambulance staff here are paid better than nurses, in many cases within NZ.

If you want to see some Nursing sites, here are some links to look at:

http://www.unitec.ac.nz/?946294E9-57DF-472E-A5F2-ED52FB43859F
http://www.nurse.org.nz/leadership/ls_scope_hpcaa.htm
http://www.nursingcouncil.org.nz/

Cheers Enjoynz

cw15321

Forum Crew Member
Long story cut short, but found myself in New Zealand one wet and windy day back in September. We decided that the country has a lot to offer as it had featured in a lot of movies, commercials etc.
So, I made the choice to get my NREMTP appraised by AUT on the North Shore. Paid my NZ$100 and was told to wait six weeks before I will get a letter to state what the equivalent will be. Then, once I have that letter, I can apply for jobs. It is now nearly April and to date they have yet to tell me what is equivalent to my qualification! Good thing I did not have to get a job as a medic asap!
During my waiting period I talked to some people at St John’s Ambulance, the main EMS agency on the North Island and I was shocked! I could not believe it when they told me that it is common to have just a driver on the rig, no attendee. The level of equipment in the back looked like a BLS ambulance over here. Then there is the wages. They sound high, even when converted to US$, as most are earning less that amount. However, weekly rent was over NZ$300, cars were expensive compared to the US. Then during the three months that we stayed we did not get to see nothing. :sad: It cost us a small fortune to put gas in a little Corolla, and then hotels rooms were few and far between and over NZ$200 a night. Finally, there was the weather…….

So, I don't think that many medic's will make it to NZ as it takes too long to get there, the place is expensive (even for a vacation) and the weather is only good during January and February.

OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
So, I don't think that many medic's will make it to NZ as it takes too long to get there, the place is expensive (even for a vacation) and the weather is only good during January and February.

I'm really sorry you had a bad time on your stay....and you know first hand just how hard it is to get your foot in the door at our services here though!

I'm surprised the Auckland city ambulance crews are still one man crewing,we were told they were all two officer's per truck.
But if you are a medic, you normally go in a car own your own to the scene and meet up with the ambulance, unless you are on the 1st ambulance (ALS).

As far as the weather goes, it's a shame you didn't get to see more of the country....we are having lovely weather at the moment,
so guess it depended what areas you got to visit. Mind you, September is Spring so it does rain a lot more.

Weekly rents in Auckland are $300+, in my area it's more like $170 and even cheaper in parts of the South Island.
So it does pay to get away from the city areas!

There again though...that is no good for a Medic as your work load would be very limited. Depending how rural you want to go!

You didn't say anything about the people...I hope you were treated nicely?
Then again, you were in Auckland...lol.<_< ( After living there for 15 years , we moved three years ago to the Wairarapa and have not looked back)!

Also there are Backpackers and heaps of Homestays...which is a cheaper and nicer way to see the country and meet the locals.
My friends homestay (Large loghouse on 12 Acres) is only $130 double and breastfast included.:)
She just had some American guests a few weeks ago, now their freinds are making the trip this week and having a ball.
So there again, it depends on how you arrange things and where you go!
I guess the same could be said for travelling around America, from what I've heard about some of your motels...hey at least the restaurants here, don't expect tips! LOL

Enjoynz