Paramedic to RN

RN-Medic Bridge Programs!

• Definitely can be worthwhile, it just depends on the student's effort & learning style.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Possibly worth it, but still not as good as a standard Associates in Nursing program.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not gonna be worth it, you'll get your RN but won't know jack & won't be hireable.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Definitely not worth it, they're just scams.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

johnmedic

Forum Crew Member
Time for a vote! (Please)
I'm going to refrain from explaining my personal situation for the sake of just having a poll on the quality of education from a typical Medic --> RN program.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Just go to regular nursing school. It's too different from EMS for you to really have a huge leg up. And when you go to nursing school, don't say "on the ambulance, I...." or "one time, we...." like EVER. They just don't really care about your EMS experience. Show them your awesome exam skillz and let them figure out that you are comptent, don't tell them beforehand.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm just going to note that the thread title says one direction and the poll question presents the opposite direction.

OP
OP
J

johnmedic

Forum Crew Member
I'm just going to note that the thread title says one direction and the poll question presents the opposite direction.

..damn.. yep, my mistake. Medic to RN is the intended question, I don't think I can modify the poll anymore.. :|

& thanks for the input ABC!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
abckidsmom has my experience down

I was an EMT-A (old version EMT-B) and went to BSN program. My EMT class was at a tech school so nothing from that was transferable. When I mentioned my experience, and even taught my instructors how to use small O2 cylinders on code carts, I was told by one, in a friendly aside, to take that experience and put it in a drawer; different mindset, different ethics, etc. I would suggest seeing if the course(s) you took have any transferable credits and do that, then just go to school. Going "backwards", RN to EMT B or EMT-P, is hard too. Not backwards, more like sideways.
PS: Go for the Baccalaureate, especially if you ever have inclination to joining the military or nurse hiring gets tight again, as it periodically does. If you take the ADN or a certificate, you will not "go back to school later".

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
While my mom and dad were in ICU the RN's with the best bed side manner were the former medics. They also seemed more competent generally. Most had taken a bridge program.

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
It seems silly to spend 3 years becoming a medic, and then have to stay at day 1, and do 4 years to become a nurse. It seems like there should be some advanced credit or bridging for medics.

I guess the question is going to be whether there's enough medics to support a bridge program. Philosophically I'm opposed to allowing RN to medic bridging in situations where there isn't an equivalent medic to RN bridge in place.

jgav07

Forum Ride Along
From what I have been told (in Michigan at least),because of wait times for clinicals it is actually easier to go through all of the schooling to become medic, including basic classes, and then take a bridge program. They seem to be pretty easy to find around here. Average time for an associates in nursing here is 5 to 7 years so it's more of a time issue than an experience one in my opinion.