Paramedic schools Boston area

emt-slick

Forum Probie
So far I'm looking into EMS academy in Quincy, NMETC in Bridgewater, Safety in Taunton, PRO in Cambridge.

Any others I should be looking into?

Anyone go through these programs and have pros/cons?

I'm leaning towards EMS academy in Quincy because it's close to home and taught by a current Boston EMS field paramedic.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Go to Pro.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Go to Pro.

Agreed. It's the only nationally accredited program in MA (making you eligible for the NR after Jan 2013)! The faculty is excellent, many lectures are taught by physicians, and students are required to attend rounds with the medical director. Lastly, the equipment is top notch. The same faculty does simulation training with physicians across the state and all over the world. It's worth checking out, and let me know if you have any questions.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I did part of my preceptorship with pro. It was an awesome experience. Great preceptors.

OP
OP
E

emt-slick

Forum Probie
Pro right now is bottom of my list for a couple reasons: main reason is its 11k.. But otherwise I've heard the instructors are paragods (they know everything and yell at you if you don't) and I've also heard they're not solid on learning medications. Obviously this is second hand but I have heard both of these things second hand so I am looking for people's experiences. So far 2 good ones for Pro just looking for the pros and cons for the other programs as well.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I've had the fortune of taking a tour of Pro's medic school. It's excellent.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
So far I'm looking into EMS academy in Quincy, NMETC in Bridgewater, Safety in Taunton, PRO in Cambridge.

Any others I should be looking into?

Anyone go through these programs and have pros/cons?

I'm leaning towards EMS academy in Quincy because it's close to home and taught by a current Boston EMS field paramedic.

I guess I'll respond to the other programs. All you mentioned have good, if not great reputations.

EMS Academy's program is still brand new. Lori (and her predecessors) have been teaching EMT and community classes for 15+ years, and only began medic programs 18 or 24 months ago, and may only be on their second wave now. Their first crop of students came out well, but I think it was an intense learning experience for all. The instructors seem to be solid, and my experience has shown students come out prepared as well.

NMETC also has a good reputation, better than I expected. I have a friend finishing up the online curriculum-- and he loved it, mainly for the flexibility it offered him. His only complaint was incredible difficulty scheduling and conforming to policy over ride time. Good luck, but do your research.

Safety is the program I know the least about... I know former students who have been happy, and an equal number who have not. As with any program, do your research.

Other notable courses in the area (my mention is NOT a validation or recommendation):
First Response EME in Stoughton
Mass Bay CC
NCTI/AMR in Natick (heard terrible things about their recent classes)
Northeastern... closed their program (finally!)

I think that's all the info I can give right now... don't forget to do comprehensive research, ask questions, etc.

Good Luck!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I toom my paramedic class at Harvard. Its hard to get into. Probably because the door has been chained. It meets in a psych facility.

gw812

Forum Crew Member
Don't even consider NCTI. Current victim elsewhere.

gw812

Forum Crew Member
Won't give enough detail to be identified, but can sum it up as corporate decisions, incompetence and lack of communication have created a very negative place to be a student.

EMT trainee

Forum Probie
wasjust wondering iam an emt here in ireland and working volunteering with the st john ambulance brigadeof ireland and would be very intrested in becoming a paramedic but dont know where to start looking. any help would be much appreciated.also how much would it be aswell and would pre hosptial emergency care council view me as an ap on completion of course or would it just be a paramedic. I know some courses are recognised on completion oif 2 years plus to be under the ap criteria. with phecc.