Paramedic School

dschambers3

Forum Probie
Hello to everyone this is my first post. I am a EMT-B with a third party transport service and an Army Medic. I just signed up for Paramedic school it starts in October. Any hints/tips/advice?

RescueShirts.com

Forum Crew Member
Congradulations!

So when do you get your books?

It's never too early to start studying. When I was an EMT, my Paramedic partners would make fun of me because I was always reading a Paramedic text book... (long before I ever signed up for school).

However, it made school much easier for me, and when I finished #2 in the class, it was all worth it.

Another thing to remember... RELAX... too many students get really stressed out in school. Enjoy it... Study hard... and you'll do fine.

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
First off, Congrats!

I am in my 3rd semester (last) of paramedic school in a BS program. We lost 3 people the first block because they did not take any A&P. I would sign up for an Anatomy and Physiology I or get an A&P textbook and bone up. Secondly, start getting real familiar with ECGs and (what normal and abnormal 3 leads and 12 leads look like). Skill stat is a great web site go to the ECG simulator :
http://www.skillstat.com/learn.htm
Lastly, be ready for a hell of a ride, you think you are prepare and know what to expect. Nah, you could never really be prepared, that is kind of the point of changing levels and skills sets. I have been an EMT-I for 6 years doing volly FD EMS for 3 years, 2 1/2 years in EMS using my full Intermediate skills often, and 2 years in ED/ Adult ICU before medic school and it still blew me away. You learn to keep up the pace and the importance of study groups.
One tip we have learned is that one of my study partners had bad test aniexty so we would make pre-tests and quizes. Would you believe that about 75% of the questions we would come up with were on the tests and quizes. We meet two hours before an exam at a coffee shop and about 4-6 of us just review material and test each other. Meeting before tests has raised my test scores by 10%. I hope that helps and good luck.

OP
OP
D

dschambers3

Forum Probie
Thank you

Thank you to everyone that has offered advice. I have my books and tomorrow I am going to finish Ch.1 and start some drug flashcards to memorize drug:indicationt/contraindications, dose, etc.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Thank you to everyone that has offered advice. I have my books and tomorrow I am going to finish Ch.1 and start some drug flashcards to memorize drug:indicationt/contraindications, dose, etc.

Don't memorize medications!!! Learn the pharmacokinetics and pharmodynamics of them instead! There are too many "cook book Paramedics" that can only recite what was on their drug cards, yet are unable to understand why beta drugs that they administer may not work on that cardiac patient. Learn, gross anatomy and in-depth physiology, the med.'s will fall in place, then all you have to do is memorize the dosages...

R/r 911

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome to the tribe!!!:)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Sleep! Whenever you can, catch a nap. Forget your social obligations, your true friends will wait until this is over. Use all time not spent studying, working or in class to sleep.

Asclepius

Forum Lieutenant
Congratulations.

Hint #1: Make sure you understand the commitment you are making in your training to become a paramedic. To do it, and do it well, is a very big sacrifice of your time, energy, and money. Only after you are fully aware of the commitment should you continue.

Hint #2: Read, read, read. Read your chapters BEFORE the lectures so that when you read something you don't fully understand the lecture will help clarify it. Reading ahead of time also helps you be prepared to engage in the lecture. Your textbooks are about to become more important to you than just about anything else in life. Love them.

Hint #3: Stay awake in class. Pay attention. 85% or more of the stuff you'll need to know can be absorbed by just paying attention. I am always amazed at the number of people who suffer through classes only because they're too tired from the night before to honor the commitment they made in Hint #1.

Hint #4: No question is a dumb question If you truly need clarification on something, by all means, ask for it. Don't worry about being made fun of, if it happens, just know that you'll be a better medic for getting the answers

Hint #5: There are all kinds of personalities in EMS. Some preceptors are old and crusty and teach/train like drill Sargent's from long ago did. They haven't learned that we're in a new touchy feely world where political correctness dominates. In other words, each preceptor will have their own style of teaching. Some will be difficult to get along with or maybe just expect you to know more than the last one you had did. At any rate, don't let them discourage you. Be honest with them. Tell them when you're lacking confidence and when you need help with something. They like that much more than someone who just appears to not have a clue.

I hope this advice helps. Good luck with your education.

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
Congrats and good luck. im just finishing up my medic class and the best advice i can give that was given to me is find a mentor; someone with a big brain thats willing to help not someone with a big mouth. Unfortantly there are more of the later out there.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Congratulations.

Hint #1: Make sure you understand the commitment you are making in your training to become a paramedic. To do it, and do it well, is a very big sacrifice of your time, energy, and money. Only after you are fully aware of the commitment should you continue.

Hint #2: Read, read, read. Read your chapters BEFORE the lectures so that when you read something you don't fully understand the lecture will help clarify it. Reading ahead of time also helps you be prepared to engage in the lecture. Your textbooks are about to become more important to you than just about anything else in life. Love them.

Hint #3: Stay awake in class. Pay attention. 85% or more of the stuff you'll need to know can be absorbed by just paying attention. I am always amazed at the number of people who suffer through classes only because they're too tired from the night before to honor the commitment they made in Hint #1.

Hint #4: No question is a dumb question If you truly need clarification on something, by all means, ask for it. Don't worry about being made fun of, if it happens, just know that you'll be a better medic for getting the answers

Hint #5: There are all kinds of personalities in EMS. Some preceptors are old and crusty and teach/train like drill Sargent's from long ago did. They haven't learned that we're in a new touchy feely world where political correctness dominates. In other words, each preceptor will have their own style of teaching. Some will be difficult to get along with or maybe just expect you to know more than the last one you had did. At any rate, don't let them discourage you. Be honest with them. Tell them when you're lacking confidence and when you need help with something. They like that much more than someone who just appears to not have a clue.

I hope this advice helps. Good luck with your education.

Great Advice!

R/r 911