Paramedic School

Frank Jeca

Forum Ride Along
New to this site, but houldnbe the best place to ask folks with experience. Hello guys I'm an emt and well I'm going to go through medic school in a couple months, I already have all the books necessary for the program I am going to assist, but I always like getting ahead, when it comes to any sort of class, reading and being a little more informed. When it comes to Paramedic school what would be the very most important topics to read about first i.e : Anatomy and Physiology, Pharmacology, Medical Math, Medical Termininology, and etc. Since folks here have experience I hope to get some insight as to what topics I should start with ? Thank you for any information shared.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Anatomy and Physiology, Pharmacology

Don't worry about med math, you'll learn that in pharm. I would add cardiology on the list, at least the basic rhythms and what not.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't worry about med math, you'll learn that in pharm. I would add cardiology on the list, at least the basic rhythms and what not.

The reason you might want to get a head start on med math is that, for many paramedic students, even simple math is a problem. You're probably not going to learn how to do arithmetic and algebra, or how to work with fractions and decimals in medic school. If math is a fundamental problem for you -- like reading is for some -- by all means, do something about that in advance. Extra studying and even tutoring are options.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
My main reason for stating to neglect med math till you’re learning it in pharm is your instructor may have a better way of doing it. When I was in medic school had I been practicing med math I would have been doing it harder and more complicated than how my instructor taught me. In fact he made it so easy that I was teaching med math to wildland firefighters during my internship. Medic school is about learning, not already knowing how to do every little thing. By all means I’m not saying go in blind, work on the basic fundamentals before you go on to the advanced stuff.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
CALEMT, I agree a pharm instructor might have useful tricks, but learning workarounds like "the lidocaine clock" probably isn't going to be sufficient for someone who is generally weak in math. Yes, medic school is about learning, but like any post-high-school program, there are assumptions about what students already know. When I was teaching, I saw more than a few students fail because of problems with basic math and reading comprehension.

Another thing about math tricks: Not every student finds the same tricks helpful. I'd teach simple workarounds that would help some students, while others told me I'd made things more complicated for them.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Med math is all about formulas. Once you get what each formula is then all it takes is practice. Probably the hardest part is learning all the different concentrations of drugs and what amount is actually in each one. Doesn't help much when you have 2% this, 1:1000 of that, and then the simple 4mg in 2ml. One standard would make it a bit easier at least on the math end.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
I always say med math is just dimensional analysis, and it's easy if you learn that, and then you can use the shortcuts later if you want. But nobody ever believes me.

aSVjtu7.png

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Med math is all about formulas. Once you get what each formula is then all it takes is practice. Probably the hardest part is learning all the different concentrations of drugs and what amount is actually in each one. Doesn't help much when you have 2% this, 1:1000 of that, and then the simple 4mg in 2ml. One standard would make it a bit easier at least on the math end.

"Med math is all about formulas." Yes, and applied math, in general, is about formulas. The problem is knowing which formulas to use and how to use them. For someone weak in math, trying to recognize patterns that dictate formula use can be frustrating and often incorrect. Tricks and workarounds help solve many book exercises, but throw a little real-world complexity into the mix -- spillage, for example -- and students uncomfortable with basic math are going to suffer (along with their patients, perhaps). I stand by my opinion that many medic students would benefit from pre-course math instruction or review.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I always say med math is just dimensional analysis, and it's easy if you learn that, and then you can use the shortcuts later if you want. But nobody ever believes me.

Gurby, I'm trying to imagine the looks my medic students would have given me if I'd even mentioned dimensional analysis. In some cases, we're talking about people for whom even decimals and fractions are still mysteries.

I suppose you could call med math whatever you like; how you teach it, and how your students prepare for it, are more important.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Gurby, I'm trying to imagine the looks my medic students would have given me if I'd even mentioned dimensional analysis. In some cases, we're talking about people for whom even decimals and fractions are still mysteries.

I suppose you could call med math whatever you like; how you teach it, and how your students prepare for it, are more important.

You would definitely want to call it something less scary! But I mean, it's in the Algebra 1 course on Khan Academy, like 8th grade math stuff. le sigh.

Djohnson

Forum Ride Along
Before medic school, I went over all of my BLS skills and knowledge, especially things we don't do a lot of: OB/pediatrics, anatomy, basic pharmacology, and medical terminology. Having a good foundational knowledge of these subjects helped me immensely. After the BLS refresher, I read a book on ECGs and focused on some advanced pharmacology and anatomy/physiology. You will learn the details in class, but that foundational knowledge makes all the difference.

DWR

Forum Probie
!. BLS skills
2.Allot of this job comes with field experience and time in the jog. Don't rush it.
3. Know and understand that you're at a really offshoot part of the bottom of the totem pole. Don't let it get you discouraged, embrace and learn.
4. Be involved, be confident and for christ sake ask questions, allot of them.
5. I did my A/P (1/2), medical terminology at a community college since it's requirement in WA state for paramedic school entry since it's a across the board requirement. I suggest getting it done since it will make allot of stuff make sense, especially pharmacology and cardiology.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
See if you can do some observation time in your local academic ICU before you start medic school. Then do more observation time in the ICU once you start.

In addition, focus on A&P. Everything is based off of it, so have a good understanding of how the body works. Some math might be helpful too (dimensional analysis being the most important). I wouldn't focus on pharm yet, get A&P down.

Good luck!

marian

Forum Crew Member

I believe you. I learned dimensional analysis in chemistry way back in the day, like 9th grade, and every time I use it I remember my teacher & I say a little prayer of thanks.

Dimensional analysis is like a ninja trick. It ALWAYS comes out correctly.