Paramedic school Southern California

shawnpen13

Forum Ride Along
I been searching numerous threads on here but haven't found any info. I'm really interested in going directly into paramedic school right after i finish my emt program but they all require experience. Is there any school that doesn't need the 1 year experience of 911 transport

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
U look into private programs like UCLA, NCTI? I'm sure there are programs that don't require experience I just can't think of any right now. I think some just recommend experience and don't necessarily require it.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Bakersfield college has no experience requirement, and has class 3-4 consecutive days so you can stay in town during class if you're coming from out of the area.
That said, I don't recommend doing it. There is so much to be learned in paramedic school in such a short period of time. Trying to retain that along with EMT skills you never practiced or solidified will make it much more difficult. Go work as an EMT for at least a few months, see if it's really what you want to do, and get a few basic skills under control before you try to add so much more.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I been searching numerous threads on here but haven't found any info. I'm really interested in going directly into paramedic school right after i finish my emt program but they all require experience. Is there any school that doesn't need the 1 year experience of 911 transport
I would get some experience. I worked with a paramedic that had never ever touched a gurney before his clinicals! he did his emt and went straight in. It was like teaching a ride along. Please get the experience before just jumping into things. You will make it easier for your future partners.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Pack it up, go to school in Vegas.

It's a about 5k cheaper and no state taxes with a cheaper cost of living.

OP
OP
S

shawnpen13

Forum Ride Along
Haven't looked into private schools yet....wanna go to a reputable school like mt sac or crafton hills.

I do see the reasons as to why experience is good.....just hard since no one really hires a new emt to start doing 911 calls which most of these schools require.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Haven't looked into private schools yet....wanna go to a reputable school like mt sac or crafton hills.

I do see the reasons as to why experience is good.....just hard since no one really hires a new emt to start doing 911 calls which most of these schools require.
Amr, Schaefer, McCormick,Care all do! If you wanna work side by side with a medic work at Bowers they are hiring and have the largest als fleet in LA county.

OP
OP
S

shawnpen13

Forum Ride Along
Amr, Schaefer, McCormick,Care all do! If you wanna work side by side with a medic work at Bowers they are hiring and have the largest als fleet in LA county.
Thank you for the info! Can't wait to finish emt class and start applying

ResRednek

Forum Probie
I was a Corpsman in the Navy for 4 years and am still grateful that I opted to work as an EMT both IFT as well as in the 911 setting before going for paramedic school. I can see where the medics I talked to say that 911 experience can help for internship at least.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

Any accredited school will do. You get out what you put into it. Just get into a school if you want to be a medic, and your field internship is where you'll really be shaped.

Every medic school has basically the same curriculum and it all comes out of the same few books.

I realize a lot of folks here may disagree, but this is the same (minimal US) education for paramedic you are going to find, specifically in the Southwestern US.