Paramedic School Question

nemm

Forum Ride Along
Alright so I'm soon to get a job working as an EMT and plan on attending a Medic School by sometime next year hopefully. Besides gaining knowledge on the job, whats something i could study beforehand to help me prepare for medic school?

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
Seems like the big killers for the first-semester students is pathophysiology, acid/base balance theory, and pharmacology.

That's where I've seen the biggest reduction in numbers, anyway.

Later!

--Coop

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
Back when we started pharmacology, our instructor told us that is the point where he sees people start to drop out in all of his prior classes. We did lose one immediately after pharmacology.

Vizior

Forum Crew Member
Book learning wise? Take a good college level A + P class. If you've been out of school for awhile, just take classes in general, remember how to study.

If this is going to be your first college level class, a study skills/freshman composition/core class isn't going to hurt. Make sure that all your pre-requisites for the course are not only on your transcript as passed, but you understand the fundamentals, they're pre-reqs for a reason.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
College level A&P, Micro, Algebra, English. You would not believe how many of us medics, as legal adults in this country, have still not grasped mastery of our own language.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i would reccomend the book "How to Use the Search Feature: An Introspective Look at Modern Internet Communication" by the esteemed Dr. Kevin Dyer, who holds a Ph.D in Internet Etiquette

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
aha, Kev that may be your best post yet. It certainly made my gut hurt. I'm saving that for future use.

gillysaurus

Forum Lieutenant
Jeeze Kev, I must have read at least 4 different pleas from you today to members who haven't used the search feature... You're getting creative!

On top of college A+P, biology, algebra, and english... Take chemistry! Especially if pharmacology is such a weak point in medic school. Even as a basic learning about all of the drugs, knowing the difference between acids, bases, and chemical make-up of molecules and ions helped a lot in my limited (so far) understanding!

Also, it really helps with those drug calculations, since everything in chemistry is based off of dimensional analysis/conversion factors. Hellllooo tons of practice!

Last edited by a moderator:

NRCCEMTP26

Forum Probie
Pathophysoligy!!! good A&P, and review your other emtb and emti books. Barnes and Noble has a great book for emergency medicine for field use, well worth 24 bucks. And by the way dont freak, we were there once and we made it! make it what you want, and try for the best damn medic out their.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
its my biggest pet peeve and i truly believe that every time the same topic is rehashed, something is lost from people just not having the motivation to repeat themselves.

tydek07

Forum Captain

Alright so I'm soon to get a job working as an EMT and plan on attending a Medic School by sometime next year hopefully. Besides gaining knowledge on the job, whats something i could study beforehand to help me prepare for medic school?

A&P is a big one

Pharmacology

And just bls skills... remember bls comes before als. The most failed station during our practical exam last year was KED ( a BLS skill ) :wacko:

Hastings

Noobie
I add another point to BLS skills.

If you go into Paramedic school knowing nothing more than how to conduct a great assessment, you're way ahead of the norm.