Paramedic school, or firefighter school?

griffithsgriffin

Forum Crew Member
So as of now all I have is my EMT-B cert. I have been considering either going into Paramedic School or Firefighter school (through Portland Community College). Ultimately I want to be a firefighter paramedic, so I would need my ff cert as well as my associate's as an EMT-P. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thank you!

Zack

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Paramedic. Makes you much more marketable. There are way too many firefighter/EMTs, good luck standing out.

xxTriNakedxx

Forum Probie
Both. I don't know what your state's firefighter school consists of but it's been a piece of cake for me to do both. West Virginia has a blended learning program where the classroom stuff is online and the hands on practical applications are completed in two weekends (over 70 hours or so...).

Maybe your state has something similar?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If fire departments in your area don't require fire certification before hire I wouldn't waste the money. Many are going to send you to an academy anyway. What hey really want are paramedics (assuming they do ALS) since it costs the department a lot more time and money to send someone to medic school once they're already hired.

I would say that you should not get your medic only for the sake of getting a fire job. If you have your medic you are going to spend a lot of time being a paramedic, that's why they hired you.

OP
OP
G

griffithsgriffin

Forum Crew Member
I believe WA state require a FF certification. Ultimately I want to be a FF paramedic, but if I had to choose between being a FF or just a paramedic, it'd be a FF. I feel like ultimately I will have to get both, it's just a matter of what makes the most fiscal sense and what will have the best chance of getting me a good job

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I would say that it pretty much depends on where you want to work. If you want to work in Oregon, tackle paramedic school first, as the majority of fire departments here are looking for paramedics. Keep in mind that they also are usually looking for someone with experience as a paramedic as well.

itserik1234

Forum Probie
quick question.
Do you need to have your Associates to become a paramedic, because I heard from some people that you do need to, but there's also a school nearby that only takes 5 months to become a certified EMT-P. Not including your ER and Ambulance hours.