Paramedic school choice

DavidPaulk

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone. I'm interested in going to school to be a paramedic, and I was wondering what the best institution for this would be. I know a lot of colleges offer courses for this, but I've also heard some technical schools offer certifications as well. Which would be more highly recognized?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Going to depend on the program. Some technical schools have decent programs and some colleges have decent programs.

Generally speaking the colleges seem to be much cheaper. For example in my area the technical school is $12,000 for the paramedic program while the community college is $4,000.

Look into the colleges and tech schools in your area (or other places) and see how much they cost and what works for you.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Also depends on your goals; community colleges usually offer units toward a degree. If that matters to you, that makes CCs generally cheaper and offer that 2-for-1 benefit. The only potential downside is that they are often more competitive to get in to and can take up to 6 months longer than a tech school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olaf1988

Forum Crew Member
I'm not sure highly recognized should make that much of a difference- it's going to depend on what you need out of the course. A lot of places teach to the county they're in vs the National Registry, some programs are shorter (but require a lot more outside studying), some places don't place interns and you have to secure your own internship spot. It boils down to what works best for you- I wouldn't worry about which one is going to look better on a resume- pick the one that works best for your situation. I've seen medics from the "best" schools that can't get through an assessment in the field, and some of the greatest medics I've worked with have gone to places with less that fantastic reputations....