Paramedic-RN bridge program in Utah?

tyler500e

Forum Probie
I'm having a difficult time finding a school in Utah that offers a bridge program from paramedic to RN. Anyone familiar with one?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm having a difficult time finding a school in Utah that offers a bridge program from paramedic to RN. Anyone familiar with one?
I thought they were doing away with these programs?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I was thinking they were too.

OP
OP
T

tyler500e

Forum Probie
ok..

so what are medic mills? and why are they wanting to do away with this type of bridge program?

8jimi8

CFRN
so that you can get a real education instead of a shortcut to the next highest paycheck

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
ok..

so what are medic mills? and why are they wanting to do away with this type of bridge program?

Medic mills are places that turn out medics as fast as humanly possible. From oh... 8 weeks on up.

And bridge programs are falling out of favor for several reasons. One is that a lot of new grads are starting to need a BSN just to stay competitive, another is that medics don't have the education to take a shortcut and become a nurse that quickly.

OP
OP
T

tyler500e

Forum Probie
Medic mills are places that turn out medics as fast as humanly possible. From oh... 8 weeks on up.

And bridge programs are falling out of favor for several reasons. One is that a lot of new grads are starting to need a BSN just to stay competitive, another is that medics don't have the education to take a shortcut and become a nurse that quickly.

Oh ok. Thanks for the clarification there. I was thinking along the lines of doing a bridge program from medic to RN and then another bridge program from RN to BSN. I can see how it might be difficult for a "8-week medic" to do well in a bridge program to RN. However, for people that get an associates degree in emergency medical science and work as a paramedic, I would think they should be able to tolerate it.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
another is that medics don't have the education to take a shortcut and become a nurse that quickly

Hell, most medics don't have enough education to be a truly high-functioning medic....but I digress.