Paramedic programs in the USA

Thriceknight

Forum Crew Member
I know this question gets asked but it's always for a specific area of the country and since our brothers and sisters here on EMTLIFE are from all over I'm going to ask this question in the broadest way possible to elicit the widest array or responses. I am looking to go to medic school next fall or spring of '13 but I want to research the schools with enough time to fill out apps,take tours,etc etc.

So.........

What medic program did you go through/are you going through?
What do/did you like/dislike about the program?
Where is it located?
What is the result of the program..Cert,Degree? ?

Please everyone chime in. Any Canadian Medics please be sure to include scope of practice differences and reciprocity if you came back to the US.

Thanks in advance to any who take the time to share their experiences and advice.

Cheers.

:cool:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I went to Northern Maine Community College in Presque Isle Maine. (I live in Canada and technically travel North to go to Presque Isle) They have a Cert and degree option. They also are starting a Community Paramedic program in 2012. I went to this school because it was the closest to me but it is also considered one of best medic schools in Maine. Cost was also a huge factor. In canada it can cost as much as 40k to get ACP or EMT-P. the downside is you need to do alot of time to get your signoffs. The ambulance service in PI averages 10 calls a day spread out between 5 trucks in 4 stations. They have a large coverage area.

this probably won't help you much but it is a great program.

OP
OP
Thriceknight

Thriceknight

Forum Crew Member
It helps believe it or not. I am open to all possibilities and I'm not ruling out anything. Thanks for taking the time to tell me about the program.